View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
bumblebeebee
FitDay Member

I also smoke, unfortunately. I've attempted to quit many times and have been successful for a few months at times. In my efforts to quit, I did a lot of reading about smoking to prepare myself for what to expect. Here's what I understand from what I've read:

1. Smoking affects blood sugar levels in the blood which is part of why it helps control appetite.

2. People who put on weight when they quit smoking are normally replacing cigarettes with more food not only out of the oral habit, but also because they experience more drastic swings of low blood sugar as their body adjusts and this makes food cravings quite severe.

3. Some people do burn more calories as smokers. Typically any drastic calorie difference is a result of sever damage to the body which disallows it from functioning normally. I've heard that long term heavy smoking can put as much stress on your organs as an additional 30-50 pounds of body fat. This is not an ideal way to burn extra calories.

Now, I am not a doctor, so I encourage you to seek out information and read for yourself. What I do know for sure, is that the times that I have quit smoking, I haven't put on any weight. Part of this was because I would eat fruit throughout the day, especially when I wanted to smoke, to boost up my blood sugar levels without adding a lot of calories. Also, I've found that after a week or so of not smoking, I have an abundant amount of energy and I want to move around all the time.

I really would encourage you to quit if it's what you want to do! Quitting is much easier when its done out of a genuine desire to do so, and I'm sure you know that those moments do not come often.

30 yrs, 5'4
HW: 145
SW: 125 : Nov 30, 2012
CW: 116.0
GW1: 115 : Jan 20, 2013
GW2: 115 : Jan 31, 2013
bumblebeebee is offline   Reply With Quote