Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > Newcomers
Feeling down - Need weight loss motivation and advice! >

Feeling down - Need weight loss motivation and advice!

Notices

Feeling down - Need weight loss motivation and advice!

Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Feeling down - Need weight loss motivation and advice!

Hi everyone! My name is Sehban and I am a 22 year old male. I am 5'9 and currently weigh 201 pounds. I have been overweight almost my whole life. I was 210 pounds at my heaviest and managed to lose about 35 pounds. I told myself I would never be this heavy again but it happened. I am feeling down about myself because several people have told me that I have gained a lot of weight. I think one of my major problems is eating out a lot. My friends always want to eat out because I am in a small town and there is nothing else to do. I also don't have great cooking skills. I often run 5-7 miles a week but it does not seem to help. All of my weight goes directly to my stomach and it is so frustrating. I do some strength training but it seems like the weight training is just making me more bulky. Can you guys please give me some advice on how to diet/exercise properly and some good cooking tips? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to have a online workout buddy for motivation. I am only 22 years old and already have high blood pressure. I know it's time to turn my life around. I just need to find a fun way to lose weight. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

sehban- I am new to this forum, myself. I am an old geezer compared to you! (47), but I hear your frustration! I wasn't really fat at your age, I was very active. Do you have a job where you sit most of the day? That's a big problem... I think that activity goes a long way to being in your best health. When you're younger, it's a lot easier to be active and lose weight. I think you have to find a physical activity that you actually like to do, that's not a chore. Something that is fun and de-stressing. Something that you actually look forward to doing. Doesn't have to be climbing mt. everest, but just has to involve MOVING. Going to the gym and jogging are good activities, but how fun is it for you? If it's not fun, you won't do it everyday. As for eating.... well, eating out is the lazy, easy way to go. I could say "just order the salads".... but we both know how realistic THAT is.

Can you grill? Can you boil water? To actually get fit, you will have to make most of your own food for yourself so you can control what goes in it. I don't know how else to really control what you eat. I personally like the Eades books, they are doctors who treat only metabolic disorders. Very similar to the current "Paleo diet" fad. But whatever way you choose to eat, you will have to do more food handling. If you leave it up to other people, you can never be sure what you are really getting. That is what I have found. Maybe other people have different opinions. I think eating out is for a special, once in a while occasion, but then again- I know how to cook!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sehban -

I'm new to this forum but not new to losing and gaining weight!

I am starting over myself.

The best thing that worked for me was cutting out processed foods and only eating natural proteins and vegetables. So that means no sugary processed foods, white rice, flour, bread, etc. That doesn't work for everyone but I found it to be the most efficient at weight loss. Its like your body just naturally wants to get rid of the extra weight when I eat like that. You also have to watch your calories, but it is easier to do when you are not hungry all the time from eating empty calories.

It's easier said than do because of course, not everyone is willing to give up those foods. I can attest to that.

There is also what I like to call the weight watchers way, which is basically stay under your calories for your weight and body and exercise. Calories in vs calories out.

I guess it all boils down to that. Come here, track your food and keep asking for support along the way