Notices

Veganism...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Veganism...

Good, bad, so-so? I'm jumping on the Skinny B*tch bandwagon, and to be honest, I'm not missing the animal products... it's so expensive anyways... I want suggestions from fellow vegans on maintaining this long-term... Behlor
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by peachtreesnyc
Good, bad, so-so? I'm jumping on the Skinny B*tch bandwagon, and to be honest, I'm not missing the animal products... it's so expensive anyways... I want suggestions from fellow vegans on maintaining this long-term... Behlor
Just do it :-). I've been doing it since 2001. It's no guaranteed weight loss diet though, and if you really want to you can live pretty unhealthy on a vegan diet as well.

I'd suggest you follow all other dieting tips, but 'translate' them into animal-free foodstuffs (eg, butter -> palm oil, animal milk -> soy/nut/oat milk etc).

Do you have any specific questions?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 PM
FitDay Member

Well any expert will help you in this.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Google 'vegan recipe blog' and you will find an astounding assortment of delicious meals you can have while 'going vegan.'

Another suggestion is to go to Amazon (books category) and use 'vegan recipes diet' to find some really good vegan cooking suggestions. Sometimes, just peeking inside the various books that allow it will give you excellent suggestions.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
FitDay Member

I've been vegan for... I think 17?... years. And very healthy overall, but by no means thin the whole time. During the time I've been vegan, I've had weight fluctuations and tend toward slightly overweight if I don't watch what I eat and exercise regularly. Lately, let's be honest, I've edged past "slightly" and am on here to get back on track and hopefully lose 30 pounds or so. Who knows, it's possible it'd be 40-50 if I wasn't vegan, that's hard to predict. But there are lots of high-calorie vegan foods and even healthy foods will cause weight gain in large portions.

I would say that there are great health and ethical reasons to be vegan or mostly vegan, but not to treat it as a fad diet where you supposedly eat as much as you want in certain categories and watch the pounds fall off without ever thinking about it or feeling hungry. It doesn't work that way. Of course, if you use the tools on this site, you'll be off to a great start in learning what a healthy, nutritionally complete vegan diet looks like and how many calories that Thai tofu & vegetable curry will actually rack up.

I've never looked back and never really missed most animal products (and there are so many substitutions these days). If you live and spend most of your time in places and with people that will accommodate your dietary choices, you'll be fine. Most restaurants have something vegan (or that can easily be made vegan), and you can always bring something vegan to social gatherings. Traveling in some places can be a challenge.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I saw a vegetarian chef on a talk show once. He was overweight, and the host said, 'I thought vegetarians couldn't be overweight...' The chef said, 'I drink beer!'

I guess vegetarians can have the yummiest desserts and get fat like anyone else, as can vegans. And I'm pretty sure making alcohol a regular in your diet is going to add calories.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default veganism

hello , im new to this forum but i thought i'd share my 2cents. Ive been a vegetarian for over 5yrs and vegan almost 2 (and loving it =] ). i dont have problems with my weight and im mainly using this website to help me improve my health and get leaner.
my main tip when turning to veganism would be to make sure you are not finding replacements for all the animals products you eat. When making the transition it can surely "help" but you may be setting yourself up for failure specially if one of your goals is to maintain/lose weight. Most replacement foods specially nut pates, soy cheeses, etc, are packed with fat and so it can be easy to lose track of your fat intake. So i'd recommend to go straight into less processed more whole foods, lots of fruit and veg. Like it was said above get a recipe book and read many of the amazing blogs u can find online.
Last and not least, veganism is a way of life, so if you have a reason (animal welfare/ morals/ethics towards eating animals)why you are doing this it will always be much easier to keep up. =) Good luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
FitDay Member

yes , There is very much diffrent types of vegan recipies which you will li ke and as they are vegan recipeis they contain less calories and helps us to live healthy !!