Notices

tips to ease soreness after exercising?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default tips to ease soreness after exercising?

Hi there

I've started working out regularly, following dvds such as jillian michaels etc. and was wondering if anyone has any tips to help ease any soreness afterwards?

I've been particularly getting it in my shoulders and my legs (the calf areas in particular have taken a caning) - especially my legs!

Do any of you have any tips to help ease such aches? thanks muchly x
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM
FitDay Member

Stretch. Hot bath with bath salts.

You should only feel mild discomfort - if you are more sore than that you have to back off on the intensity. It's not good for your body to overdo it like that.

Robin
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
FitDay Member

Fish oil can have the same effect as an analgesic/anti-inflammatory. Magnesium can also help, lots absorbed from an Epsom salt bath.
There are studies that show that grounding, touching the earth, can help.

I have also had lots of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Taking it easier and using the “grease the groove” method has worked the best in preventing DOMS ….not curing it
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

My rowing coach says that five minutes of slow movement after intense effort is the key to preventing soreness. It does seem to make a big difference.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM
FitDay Member

You can do little stretching after your workout to prevent sore muscles and body pains. Once your body gets used to it, you will rarely experience muscle soreness.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

During summer training for theatrical stage combat, we did some P90X and they always recommended that we took a short swim in our pool or friend's pool as our cool down.

It seem to work surprisingly.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM
FitDay Member

Default understand why you get sore

Generally normal muscle soreness comes from burning carbohydrates in too little oxygen.... creating lactic acid...
That can come from asking the muscle to do more than it is used to doing, whether you are new or experienced. So either you changed your routine from something you are used to (upped the intensity or new movements), or you've begun or re-begun and over indulged. Either way you can help but not eliminate soreness,, it's an indicator or measure of work + nutrition + rest + hydration.

know the difference between injury (bad pain) and soreness (good pain) though.. if you have doubts .. see the doctor.. life ifs too short to waste time dragging around unnecessary issues..

hydrate before, during and after workouts.. body weight/2 = oz water per day.. muscle is 90% water ..

end game:
do what made you sore again .. and reduce the level of effort with warm up and cool down.... and hydrate...
caveat: Your activity should be appropriate for you age and condition.
start small and build...
A nutritionist with some background in exercise or sports is a great investment.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Doing a 15 minute cooldown of walking & stretching plus icing should help a lot. It'll get better after a few workouts Also, you shouldn't workout to the point that you are so sore you can't more- that's taking it too far and can be dangerous. Congrats on the hard workouts!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

Ice for 10 minutes a few times a day if possible. I lift and have shoulder therapy, they are the ones that taught me.....its a life saver.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

Breathe! Deep breathing while you are doing the exertion. After the workout when you are stretching too, breathe deeply while doing the exertion part of the stretch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.