View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Freshman30
FitDay Member

My boyfriend has recently joined me in healthier eating. He's a 22-year-old guy and that's practically the same as being a child. So here are a few things he eats to cut out junk food:

-He had a real thing for chips and it was difficult to cut them out of his diet, but as he started to really enjoy cooking with Kale he began making Kale Chips! And they're actually really good! Just bake some Kale leaves in the oven with a little olive oil and seasonings (salt, pepper, spices, vinegar if you like- I like garlic salt/powder best). They bake for about 10-15 minutes.

-Stir fry. It's super easy. He does it all the time. Kale, spinach, broccoli, red peppers, asparagus, onions, roasted garlic; mix any variety of vegetables with olive oil and low-fat alfredo sauce, or just throw in slices of cheese and spices to make your own sauce. (He likes to buy hunks of low-fat pepper jack, slice them up and put them in). Maybe throw in some whole-wheat pasta. She can heat it up in the cafeteria if there's a microwave at her school.

-Pomegranates! The seeds are super fun to just sit and much on- better than chips, fries, or popcorn. Buy the ones that are heavy with taut skin. Most produce sections have pamphlets that show you how to open them and get the seeds out. It's pretty easy.

-Fresh fruit sorbet! You can even make your own. Most of them don't have too much added sugar. It's better than ice-cream or even sherbet! I guess this isn't a packed-lunch food but good for home!

-Veggie nuggets! Like chicken nuggets but filled with broccoli, spinach, peppers, sometimes onions, and other veggies. You can buy them in frozen foods. Another one that's better for home

-Plain Greek Yogurt and fruit. Buy large plain/vanilla tubs and dice up some fresh fruit or even use pomegranate seeds! It's fun to make and full of protein! Put the yogurt and fruit in separate Tupperware tubs and let her mix it.

-Home-made pizza on pita bread or with whole-grain dough balls. Use real tomato juice/paste (not pizza sauce/mozzarella sauce)- not from concentrate, real low-fat cheese, and topped with sliced tomatoes, onions, other veggies! You can eat it cold too!

-Toasted whole-grain bagel sandwiches. Put practically anything healthy on a whole-grain bagel and it's so much more fun and a toasted bagel is less likely to turn soggy.

SHORT VERSION:
-Kale Chips! (Replacing potato chips)
-Veggie Stir Fry!
-Pomegranate Seeds!
-Fresh Fruit Sorbet!
-Veggie Nuggets!
-Greek Yogurt!
-Home-made Pizza!
-Bagel Sandwiches!

Not all of these are easy for lunch-packing but the Kale chips are really worth a shot. And kudos for starting her young! I wish I'd been smarter as a young child.

College junior, biology major, grocery store supervisor, lover of food!

Height => 5'2"
September 2011 => 197 lb
Current weight => 162 lb (again... )
Ultimate goal => 135 lb
Freshman30 is offline   Reply With Quote