Notices

How to Keep the Motivation Going?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Question How to Keep the Motivation Going?

Alright, I have tried this once or twice before, but before the "two weeks" that it takes to form a habit, I lose interest and tell myself I could not make my goal anyway.

I lost weight a while back due to personal issues, but I have put it all back on again. I'm tired of seeing myself in the mirror!

My weight loss goal is 75 pounds. For those of you who have made your goals, or are on the current path to making your goals, how do you stay motivated? How do you make yourself find the energy to make that homemade supper or wake up half an hour earlier to make the gym routine work?

I really want to do this, and my goal is to make it in (the longest amount of time) 1 year.

Thanks so much!

Krys
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM

I probably don't have the answer you are looking for, but for me it's an ongoing process, an everyday one-day-at-a-time thing. Some days I do well and hit my daily goals, and other days I slip a little. One thing that has kept me going is to not look at the big picture because it is too overwhelming. I make mini goals of usually 10 lbs and that's what I focus on. I rarely look at myself in the mirror, because even though I've lost almost 50 lbs, to me I look the same and that gets to be a bummer. But I know there is a difference because I'm wearing smaller clothes. Anyhow, I was invited to join the women's 7 Day Motivational thread here in the women's forum. You can jump in any time, and a new thread starts each Monday. I have found that group of women (and a few men) to be very encouraging, and it's given me a boost.

I still have a problem with the whole exercise thing myself. As for cooking, even though most of the meals I make are healthier, I refuse to cook anything that is too time consuming. I just don't have the time or energy to go gourmet. My family loves my cooking, and if you look around (I find a lot of things on dLife) you can find lots of healthy recipes that don't take very long to make. Also, I love my crock pot! Put everything in early, let it do it's thing, and there is an amazing dinner magically there in a few hours.

Keep coming back to the boards here. There are a lot of people who can give motivation and encouragement. You can do it!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for your response! Those are great ideas for food wise, and I will definitely check out the posts on Mondays. I also have people at working helping out; going for a walk during lunch is going to start next week. Positive thinking is the way to go. And congratulations on how far you have come!!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

Come to the light side...come to the motivational thread...every week we post our own individual goals for the week and we try to achieve `em as much as we can.

And as Lisa says, baby steps... small goals add up.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Animegirl

I never thought I would be so close to my goal! I think back to what kept me motivated, and it was pure and simple. I just needed to be honest with myself. As long as I WAS being TOTALLY HONEST, then I knew I could not go wrong. I didn't let the little guy on my shoulder talk me into things that I knew were incorrect.

How I find the energy to do what I need to do is to make it as simple as I can. For home cooked food it is relatively simple, when you DO cook, cook twice as much, pack up half, you now have meal #2, or if you cook enough for 4 meals, then more power to you. I don't make convenience food, it lacks flavor. As does sugar free food. I go full fat (except in dairy I use/drink 2% milk and light sour cream) , full calorie, why, it has more flavor, then weigh/measure/log my portions. I rarely eat in restaurants, too many hidden calories & salt.

Also, Something I found helpful to me, was to not get hung up on the numbers on the scale. I know, a weird thing. I found my weight fluctuates in a range of 1-3 pounds a week, I weigh every day. So with Fitday, it allows me to log my weight every day and see the fluctuations. I just see a zig zag in a steadily downward direction. And I can look back and it shows 4 months ago my average weight was heavier than my weight today.

As you see I have only 2 more pounds to go. I have been at this for a little over 3 years, losing slowly and not gaining anything back. Cutting back on certain foods, adding others, increasing exercise, etc. It's a delicate balance! I look forward to finding out what tweak I need to do to get rid of these last two pounds! (this week my main focus was to be very mindful of my eating.)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM
FitDay Member

find ur purpose such as wearing pretty clothes,pleasing boyfriend,taking pictures...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

Such great information, and it makes so much sense. I see what you mean with the lowfat foods. It won't taste as good, which won't satisfy any craving. And FitDay does a great job keeping track of calories, and I really am liking seeing how it adds up. I've been at it almost a week and already lost 3 pounds just from changing my diet alone (lifestyle change)! Thanks so much for your post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

Krys,

Sounds like your on your way one very important thing is make sure your getting enough protein. It's important to keep muscle / build muscle as we age. I didn't know that when I was younger and lost a lot due to losing weight and now am trying to gain some of it back. Protein will also keep you satisfied longer and keep hunger a way longer too!

Last edited by ahappieru; 11-19-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: wanted to say more