View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Wow, that sounds like a lot of calories for a pizza with the Ole tortillas! If you're going to spend calories, might as well have Pizza Hut, right?

I have been back and forth on this, using tortillas, skim milk cheese, etc, etc. But personally, I don't think there's a way to make low cal pizza that tastes good, so I'm interested in what people will post.

I make pizza at home mostly when we have it, unless it's a rush night and we're on the verge of starving or running out the door...you know those nights. I use this: Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Recipe - Allrecipes.com (I change the proportions of white and wheat to include a bit more wheat, but not all wheat bcs it gets too hard, and I roll it thin enough to do 2 pizzas) and then for the sauce, I just take a can of crushed tomatoes and add spices (oregano, basil, red pepper, black pepper). I usually use fresh mozzarella, but sparingly. The 2% cheese is okay; I've done it that way, too, but usually prefer the way the fresh mozz tastes. Also, putting veggies on it helps bulk it up without many calories, but I tend to be a purist and just do the cheese and fresh basil.

Calorie-wise mine comes out to like 470 for 2 slices, and they are plenty filling, especially when adding a salad. And I always know ahead of time when we are having it so I can adjust the rest of the day for carbs, etc.

Hope to hear some other ideas as well; this is just what I do.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote