Thread: Food Labels
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcriswell0421 View Post
Ok, I've heard that aspartame is bad for you. What's bad about it? My dr. told me to drink diet soda rather than tons of water, which obviously has a lot of aspartame in it. I know...WHAT???? Telling me to drink diet soda in greater proportion to water?! There's a reason. I take a medication that, in addition to what I use it for, is also used for anorexia patients to MAKE them crave sugary carbs, therefore to make them gain weight. Not a good thing when I'm trying to lose a ton of weight. He said that by drinking falsely sweet diet soda (and things like Crystal Light won't do the trick he said) it will alleviate my urge to eat sugary carbs. And it works. That's what's important...it was recommended by my Dr. and right now it works for me. But what affects could the aspartame be having on me? Are there any diet sodas that anyone is aware of that doesn't use aspartame? I drink A LOT of it, and am wondering if I have any alternatives?
To use or not to use artificial sweeteners is a very personal decision. If you are interested, google "dangers of aspartame"...there is more info than I can summarize here.

I am not sure as to why diet soda and Crystal Light would be different...they both use the same sweeteners. And it has been shown in some studies that drinking artificially sweetened things triggers more of a response for additional sweet things because it primes the body for sugars, which the body doesn't get. I have had this experience but it sounds like you have had the opposite effect.

My grocery's store brand is sweetened with sucralose, so when I do have diet soda, that's what I use. Not sure about the natural brands, but it will say on their labels.

My preferred sugar sub is stevia, the newest one from the stevia plant. It's processed, not real sugar, but not created in a lab. It is new enough that I don't think any sodas have it yet.

But Lisa, the takeaway message is always this. If it works for you, do it; just research it and decide for yourself. If we all avoided everything that someone somewhere decided was bad for us, we wouldn't eat or drink anything at all. I know you've heard me say, choose the hill you're willing to die on. It's a very individual process and we all make our trade offs depending on our priorities.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote