Thread: Food Labels
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
4.a.healthier.me
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcriswell0421 View Post
I have been doing some reading on nitrates/nitrites and then looked in my refrigerator. It's amazing how much food I have in there right now with sodium nitrites...kielbasa, hot dogs, lunch meat. Applegate Farms I know is a good alternative that I need to consider buying. Anyone have any other easy to find brands that are better replacements for these types of things?
I also found that if I didn't eat a large amount of protien in the morning, I was ravinous all day, no matter how much or what I ate. I found that a large breakfast, medium lunch, and fairly light dinner helped a lot. Try for foods that are a good value for the calorie load, they tend to have more staying power than the more processed foods.

The things that I try to avoid are high frictose corn syrup, and anything that has some form of sugar in the first 4-5 ingredients. I also don't consume any "adult beverages" which can really pack in the calories if you don't watch it.

When I want to go meatless I usually aim for "Morning Star" or "Quarn" products. I try not to think about how much processing it takes to make these products, but sometimes you just have to give in to the guilty craving. The MS is soy baised, and the Quarn is actually mushroom based! It actually has a pretty good meat like texture.
Weight on 6/20/12 = 245.2 / BMI @ 38.4
Current Weight = 187.4 / BMI @ 29.35
Pounds Lost = 57.8 / BMI - 9.05

12/25/13 Goal = 175 / BMI @ 27.41
Pounds to go = 12.4

Inches lost= 26.5

Goal Weight = 150 / BMI @ 23.49
Pounds to go = 37.4

What I've learned along the way:

Just because no one sees it, doesn't mean it doesn't count

If at first you don't succeed... try, try again
4.a.healthier.me is offline   Reply With Quote