View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #127 (permalink)
amalthea1892
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcriswell0421 View Post
I'd like to get educated more on what you guys are talking about, but I need beginner basics. I'm a stay at home mom, so I should be able to do more home made whole foods and things time-wise. I'm just concerned about the costs. I get $200/wk to buy groceries and gas. I spend $165-$175 on groceries, and it doesn't even seem like I get that much. That only leaves me a few $$$ for gas, and I am the kid taxi in our house. Point being, my budget is tight. Or I just need to learn to do things differently. I have cut out quite a lot of packaged products, but I admit I do still buy lunch meat from the deli. What are other options? I should learn to do things like mix up my own waffle mix instead of buying Bisquick and stuff like that.

Any information, ideas, etc. for a beginner?
Hi Lisa - I started researching ingredients by reading labels and Googling the ingredients I did not recognize. It spurred me on to buy products with the fewest ingredients on the label as possible, and to avoid things like Red#40 and meats processed with nitrates/nitrites. It kind of took off from there and I have continued to research and make different choices over the past several years to clean out as many questionable ingredients out of our diet as possible, but without going completely overboard. I agree, a lot of healthy foods are pricey, and we can't afford to go all out health nut. So I opt to make whatever I can out of simple ingredients, like most baked goods, and be an avid label reader at the grocery so that I can make better choices. The lunchmeat thing is a tough one... I found Hormel makes a line of lunch meats that have no added nitrates. We buy that no because DS likes meat sandwiches in his lunch. We also look for simple sugars instead of high-fructose corn syrup, Smuckers makes jam without HFCS, but it is hard to find. I also buy decaf coffee that has been decaffinated using the Swiss water method, and not methylene chloride or other chemicals. Also, if a label calls out something that looks like a disclaimer it may be worth doing some research on; such as RBST in dairy products. Why would they even need to disclaim it is not bad for you - red flag! Glad you are interested in this topic! I am looking forward to following a thread that continues this line of discussion!
amalthea1892 is offline   Reply With Quote