View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #109 (permalink)
frenchhen3
FitDay Member

Cassie- I am totally on your page when it comes to lunch meat! I buy chicken breasts when they are on sale for 1.99 a pound and then portion them out to 3 ounce pieces, butterfly them and pound them out, freeze them individually in plastic wrap, and it takes literally 3 minutes to cook one and top a sandwich. Last week for 8 dollars I made 26 portions of chicken! I do the same with rump roasts or eye of round, for pork, I buy a pork loin roast and roast it and slice it thin for sandwiches. I don't know if your store sells them but I have a Honeysuckle white boneless turkey !?! yes, in my freezer right now, weighs about 3 pounds, Got it for 9 dollars and change. They are really good! I also buy from my pig guy, ground pork and make my own breakfast sausage.

Lisa- for casseroles and things I make my "own" cream of something soup. Very low salt and affordable! I'm going to try to start making my own mayonnaise, 4 dollars a jar is getting ridiculous! It's basically just eggs and oil! Bananas are usually the best deal in the store. I get about 12 for under 1.20. Eggs are a low cost food too. I buy dried beans and soak and cook 3 pounds at a time, unseasoned, then portion it out in the pint size freezer bags and I'm set for a few weeks for side dishes. I also buy the huge bags of frozen vegetables. They are about 5 dollars.

Ama- Here's my recipe for white bread, glad you asked for it, now I feel the need to bake.

1 pack of Rapid Rise yeast
1 cup of warm water
1/3 cup of milk powder
1 Tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
1 Teaspoon of sugar
1 Teaspoon of salt (add less if you like)
3-4 cups of flour (I like the better for bread style but all purpose works well too)

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let sit about 5 minutes until frothy. Stir in powdered milk, sugar, butter and salt. Work in flour a cup at a time, for the first two cups, then gradually add the 3-4 cups. You might not need all 4, so work it till it is smooth. Knead it about 10-12 minutes, Great biceps, triceps and pecs workout! Let rise 1 hour covered in a very lightly oiled bowl (I just use a drop or two of olive oil and spread it around with my hands) (I put it in my garage in the summer, in the winter I put on the oven light and stick it in there with the door cracked.) Punch down and put it in a greased loaf pan and let it rise about 30 minutes or until it looks high enough in the pan to your liking for sandwiches. During this rising time let it sit on the counter near the oven covered with a towel while you preheat your oven thoroughly to 400 degrees. Bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool a little, about 10 minutes, then remove from pan.

Last edited by frenchhen3; 11-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
frenchhen3 is offline   Reply With Quote