Notices

Despondent - but, willing to commit again...

Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Despondent - but, willing to commit again...

New to the forums. I've had an account with Fitday for nearly 2 years, but never really engaged the site.

I've been feeling really beaten this last year and not sure where to head next. I have a very stressful job and I've been caring for my ailing Father and Mother in the evenings. You could say I'm a stress eater. Today, I literally weighed in at my heaviest ever. A new record. I'm feeling so frustrated, but, I know I can't just give up.

I've been on a rollercoaster with weight loss and I'm back in the tough times again. It's so interesting how all my friends and colleagues don't really say anything, but I know what they're thinking and it makes me sad. Well, my Dad never forgets to tell me how much fatter I've gotten...

Anyway...I'm trying not to be 'Debbie Downer'. I have a hydrostatic weighing planned in a couple of weeks. Gonna take some measurements and pics so I can start a baseline.

Should be 'downhill' from here on out...

Bxlang
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

The stress and unvarying inactivity of being a caregiver (if you take care of ailing parents) makes it hard to feel in control of your weight. I took care of my ailing mother and gained weight - even though I was only eating one restaurant meal a day. I realize restaurant meals are caloric, but come on!

I was reading a study recently in which they MADE people gain weight by slowly DECREASING their daily activities and increasing their calorie intakes.

Changes in insulin sensitivity precede change... [J Appl Physiol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

They had their steps counted and they were slowly reduced in number of steps they could take. They got slowly less active. They gained weight, surely as anyone could have predicted.

I have been taking a class which requires a lot of study. Every day, I have some test I'm preparing for, or some report I'm preparing. I wear a pedometer all the time (I have been losing weight on Weight Watchers and they encourage walking at least, with step goals, etc.) and I've seen my steps reduced to a quarter of what my daily step count usually is. No surprise, I've also seen my weight loss slow way down, and I've had to work harder at reducing my calorie intake.

One thing I can suggest is walking in place to any walking tape by Leslie Sansone. You can walk indoors, in place, taking up very little space and very little time. I believe the entire taped 'walk' only takes 20 minutes or so. It won't make the weight fall off - although for some people, it has made some dramatic changes when they changed their level of activity - but it's one way you can feel you are building protection against even more weight gain.
I have a Leslie Sansone video tape somewhere, but it's available also on DVD. If you go to iTunes, I'm pretty sure there are mp3 podcasts you can download and listen to while you walk (in place, if you have to stay in one place).
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

Bxlang, I also cared for an ailing parent for a year and a half. I also had a very close relative die 2 yrs before so I was definetely stress eating. I didn't have any time to take care of myself--there were days it literally felt like I had to schedule bathroom breaks. People don't give credit for being a caregiver so let me tell you how blessed they are!!

I am finally taking care of myself. I have a lot of weight to lose but I'm taking it one day at a time. Exercise videos or anything that you can do at home is great!

Jenn
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
FitDay Member

Kathy13118 - I appreciated your comments and the study you posted. I know that I'm probably completely insulin resistant at this point. I'm taking on a full assault against simple carbs/sugars to hopefully reverse some of my insulin problem.

Thanks for the tip about Leslise Sansone - I'll look into it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

jjrudd - thanks for the nice words about caregivers. Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I work 8 to 5 as well. Our family does hire in some help during the day.

I figure if I don't take care of myself first...then, I can't fully assist my parents can I?

I'm committed to more gym time to get my activity back up...
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by bxlang
I figure if I don't take care of myself first...then, I can't fully assist my parents can I?
For so many of us, that's the bottom line. So glad you found the Forum and some compatriots! I look forward to reading about your successes.