New here, have some questions >

New here, have some questions

Community
Notices

New here, have some questions

Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
FitDay Member

Default New here, have some questions

So, I came across this site, and it seems like a good idea. Due to some (as yet unresolved) health issues, I have dropped from 210lbs to roughly 165lbs, starting in April, and continuing on. Due to this being a health issue that started it, I've been trying to live a more active, healthy lifestyle.

To give a little info about myself, I am a 25 year old guy, and I work as a pizza delivery driver (not the most glorious job, I'll admit, but, hey, it pays the bills). I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and that's my main passion. I basically enjoy creative stuff in general. But, yea. That's me in a nutshell, I suppose.

For the most part, my days are spent doing little exercise, as I essentially sit around at work, then grab a pizza, walk to my car, drive to the place, walk to their door, return to car, and repeat. So, in the past few months I decided I wanted to start getting into shape. And with all the weight lost for whatever random reason, it seems like a good time to begin.

The only issue I have with this site so far is that as far as the Weight Goal is concerned. It refuses to allow me to increase my weight as a goal. And I'm not really all that concerned about losing any more weight, otherwise, I'll be, quite literally, nothing but skin and bones. My goal is to put on some muscle mass, so I'm adding weight. Is there any way to change that setting?

Anyways, I do intend to keep using the logs and stuff, it seems like this could be a very useful tool to help me in achieving my physical goals.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Having a weight GAIN goal has come up several times but so far FITDAY can't handle it. The Fitday tools can help you track calories, exercise and help you with seeing what your calorie balance is. You might want to use another site like Bodybuilding.com to log your weight (It will let you set a weight gain goal). But they don't have the other tools that Fitday does.

You should try to have a calorie surplus of 200-500 calories per day. Increase your Protein to 30% of your calories or .75-1.0 grams of protien per pound of LEAN body weight. (If you are 165 pounds with 15% bodyfat then your lean body weight is 140 pounds and you should try for 105 to 140 grams of protein per day.)

You can't add muscle without exercise and that means Weight training lifting weights appropriate so you can perform only 4-6 repetitions before failure. Do 3 or 4 sets for each exercise.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, thanks. I didn't know that. I've been logging everything I eat, and while I put that I live a 'Mostly Seated/Some Movement' lifestyle, I seem to be constantly in the negatives. However, since noticing that right away, and also, thanks to your tip about higher protein and calories, I have been attempting to eat more in general, but also food that is higher in protein.