Notices

eggs

Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default eggs

I just joined. I typed eggs into the food bar and it gave me anything but eggs.
It gave me McDonalds, dry, frozen, with pancakes and all kinds of other things, but not just plain eggs.

Should I even try another food?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default chicken

Typed in boneless chicken breast. It gave me Veal, then Duck before chicken.
I'm out!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

You could try looking up "egg whole" and add how you cooked it. For example, if you fried or scrambled it, you would type in "egg whole fried" or "egg whole scrambled." Most of the time my searches work out fine, but the search function could definitely use a LOT of work. Sometimes you just have to be as specific as possible. Hope that helps you!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default Eggs, Egg, or ...

Eggs are the most frustrating thing to find in Fitday. The other day I looked for scrambled eggs and it took me about six tries before I found it as: '
Egg omelet or scrambled egg.' Not only did a search for 'egg' not find this as one of the first 50 items, it was incredibly hard to find by browsing.

But I don't expect this to be fixed anytime soon.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not sure if others can view my custom foods or not. But if you are able to, I have customed the brand of eggs I buy. Your more then welcome to take a look.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

In general I have found it best to leave off the "s" for most foods. The search engine will find stuff that you give an incomplete spelling for, but if you give it too much information and it doesn't find and exact match you can get some pretty odd returns.

For example, since I am a lousy speller rather that typing in "broccoli" I will just type "broc" and it will find all the things that have those 4 letters. Broccoli, raw usually comes up in the first few lines. Likewise, since I can't seem to remember how to spell mayonnaise correctly, I just type "mayo" and all the choices for mayonnaise will show up on the first page.

I also tend to log most of my foods as "raw" and add whatever additional items I included in the dish. For example scrambled eggs with veggies will be logged as: egg raw (2 large), sweet pepper (.5 large), butter (1 tbsp) etc.

And as a last resort I will just create a custom food for something I keep having difficulty finding like "steak". Don't why it isn't easier to find, but hey, sometime ya just gotta work with what ya got.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
FitDay Member

To be honest, I've made custom foods for just about everything I've logged. I've noticed that even if I find a food, it doesn't match up with the one I actually ate. For example, I found a bagel, and it was horribly off of the nutritional values listed on the bag sitting in front of me. So I just made a custom food of it. It may be a difference because I'm Canadian though.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Shadyultima
To be honest, I've made custom foods for just about everything I've logged. I've noticed that even if I find a food, it doesn't match up with the one I actually ate. For example, I found a bagel, and it was horribly off of the nutritional values listed on the bag sitting in front of me. So I just made a custom food of it. It may be a difference because I'm Canadian though.
Yes I've done the same.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

yes, I find that for some things it is best to leave off the "s". I eat a lot of eggs and I believe if you just type in "egg" it will come up. But for other things it is better to leave the "s" on...sometimes it is a bit frustrating to find what seems to me to be pretty common food, so like others I create a lot of custom food entries.