View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
quinnesec
FitDay Member

Hey Everyone!

I'm back from my back-packing trip. What was supposed to be a relaxing, reflective time turned into a true adventure. Our first few days were absolutely incredible! Temps in the upper 70's and amazing fall colors. But, our cabin proved to be an adventure in itself. The road in kept getting narrower and narrower, and steeper and steeper. The last .3 mile was a just about completely vertical, sharply curving, black-topped road barely the width of my SUV. No shoulders, one lane and a 20' drop on either side.

It was actually doable until hurricane Sandy's rain bands started to come in. Then the "Road From Hell" became wet and covered with slippery, soaked leaves on top of everything else. We stayed at the top of the mountain until the last night when the forecast indicated that temps at the higher elevations (us) would dip below freezing and freezing rain and snow were possible on the morning that we were going to leave at 5am to begin our trip home. When they suggested that we bring in bottled water and provisions "in case we were stranded for a few days", we asked the rental company for an alternative location.

So, we were moved to a luxurious cabin at a lower elevation for the last night at our request and other than a 200' vertical driveway, we made it out the following morning without incident. Because of the rain, we had to cancel some of our hikes and basically sat in a hot tub eating everything in sight (not exactly health food... ) washing it down with some wine that I picked up at a local winery. Needless to say, I gained much more weight than I lost and am back with a mission to lose 8 pounds by Thanksgiving. Goals to follow...

1. Calories under 1200; no exceptions.
2. No bread, cheese, deep-fried, etc.
3. Take vitamins and supplements.
4. 3-5 fruits and veggies a day.
5. Hike, weather permitting.

I have lots of reading to do to catch up on everyone's lives!! Feels good to be home... I need a vacation from my vacation!

Reached 30 lb. Weight Loss Goal April, 2010
Fighting The Battle to Maintain
quinnesec is offline   Reply With Quote