Notices

Ideas for making Tuna with out Mayo

Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ideas for making Tuna with out Mayo

I started eating better again this week so I'm still putting together my low cal pantry. I wanted to eat some canned tuna packed in water but I didn't want to eat it plain and I when I saw that mayo packs 100 calories per tablespoon I didn't want to use that either. I ended up putting a tablespoon of A-1 steak sauce on it. It was really good. Any other ideas for making canned tuna tasty and still low cal?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

I'mnot sure how it will tast as I haven't tried it yet. I've heard of people using plain yogurt. I do know making egg salad with plain yogurt works, as I have tried that. I also added some mustard to give it some flavor.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Someone mentioned low cal ranch dressing before.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
FitDay Member

Similar to your A-1, I have used Worcestershire Sauce.... I have also used balsamic vinegar or just plain lemon juice.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 AM
FitDay Member

I have a few suggestions:

low cal/fat mayo.... doesn't taste quite as good but does the job
lemon and ground pepper

Not sure where you are and if this is an international food, but extra light philly spread, it is a type of cream cheese spread but not at all like the heavy cheesy version. I use it for all sorts of things. Here in Australia it come in 3 different fat versions.

I also use flavoured tuna cans, some are very low fat but some are not! read the labels.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

I make a "mock mayo" for many purposes, Non-Fat Greek Yogurt, a tiny bit of lemon juice, a seasoning (I use a mixed spice blend called "wild rice seasoning", only because it is in my cabinet and someone gave it to me, experiment!)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I use the low fat mayo. It has about 1/2 the calories and I've been using it for so long I really don't notice the difference between it and regular mayo.

One of the reasons I do is that my body (and most everyone) needs some fat in my diet. It helps slow down digestion so I feel full longer and gives me the "mouth feel" that tells my brain that I have eaten, so that my hunger is sated quicker.

That being said, I don't use mayo very much. But for an occassional tuna salad or egg salad adding a little mayo seems to make the meal just feel more filling.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Awesome ideas! Thank you everyone.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

I buy fresh salsa and mix my tuna with that instead of mayo. LOW CALORIE and a great taste! Try it!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 AM
FitDay Member

I don't like mayonnaise, but I do like tuna. Sometimes I use a slice of Kraft fat free singles. You can also use some of the laughing cow cheese wedges. Those are good with it too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.