View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
lcriswell0421

I found this recipe for Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin, and no lie it can easily replace Potatoes Au Gratin. This is the only way I've found that I like spaghetti squash. I love this recipe.

1 medium spaghetti squash
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced (I used my amazing Ninja Express Chop to dice them up) And you may want to use just 1/2 an onion. I used half and the onion flavor still really came through. It may be too strong for some people if you use a whole onion.
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried thyme)
1/2 C light sour cream
1 1/2 C cheddar cheese

The first challenge is to cut the spaghetti squash in half length-wise. This is a very difficult thing to do. I really struggled with it. Just use a very big knife, stick the knife in a little at a time all the way around until you can split it open.

1. Just like you do a pumpkin, use a spoon and some elbow grease to clean out the seeds and stringy stuff from the middle of the squash.

Alternate Method to Cutting and Cooking the Squash

1. Poke holes all over the squash. You might use a grill fork or something large like that.
2. Put whole squash in about 1/2" water in a pan.
3. Heat oven to 375F and cook for about 30 minutes.
4. VERY carefully...it will be HOT...slice your squash open, clean out the seeds.
5. Shred by scraping pulp (or whatever you call the main "meat" part of the squash) and pulling it up so it looks like strands of pasta.

2. Put about 1/2" of water in a pan and lay the squash halves face down.
3. Heat oven to 375F and cook for about 30 minutes. You know it's done when you poke it with a fork and the outer skin is soft and pokes easily.
4. In a pan, heat up the oil and put in onions.
5. Put in red pepper flakes, thyme and some salt and pepper. Stir it all up and cook onions until they are golden.
6. After squash has cooked, remove the "spaghetti" from the center and put it in a bowl.
7. Add onions to the squash and mix well. I used a rubber scraper to make sure to get all that yummy goodness out of the pan and into the bowl.
8. Add light sour cream and half the cheese (3/4 C) and mix it up well.
9. Spray an 8" or 9" baking dish with pan spray.
10. Put spaghetti squash mixture in pan. Top with remaining cheese.
11. Cook at 375F for 15-20 minutes, until top is golden.

I figured the calories and carbs per serving to be 1/8 of the pan, which is (imo) a generous serving. The numbers are: 153.8 calories, 10.5g fat, 5.5g saturated fat, .9g polyunsaturated fat, 1.2g monounsaturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 412.8mg sodium, 145.4mg potassium, 10g carbs, 1.6g fiber and 5.9g protein.

You really should try this. It would make an amazing dish to take to a family get-together for Thanksgiving or something. Enjoy!
lcriswell0421 is offline   Reply With Quote