Notices

Counting Calories while EBFing

Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Counting Calories while EBFing

I am 6wks PP(post partum) and EBFing (exclusively breast feeding). I am 5'4 I weighed 121lbs pre prego and gained 20lbs. I am sitting at 132lbs right now. I am now back at the gym after being cleared by my OB. I count ALL of my calories, both in and out. I have heard that lack of calories can affect your milk supply but can't seem to find any consistent info. Does anyone have any experience with this? My BMR is a little over 1400, EBFing requires 500, I burn 500-1000 calories a day at the gym, and I eat 1200 without restricting calories. I know I am in a deficit, as I should be to lose weight but what's TOO much while nursing?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

I EBF for 10 months, watched what I ate, and went to the gym 4 times a week, and didn't lose a single pound until I stopped BFing. I think it was hormonal- for some reason my body was just hanging onto it.

A lack of calories won't affect your supply- baby gets what baby needs. Baby will, however, take the vitamins and nutrients first, so you won't get them. A low fat diet will lower the amount of fat in your milk which is BAD for baby's brain development, so definitely don't do that. Plus while you're still BFing, the amount of fluid your body retains is higher, and your breast tissue weighs a good amount (in case you couldn't tell...), so that isn't going anywhere.

I know it's tough, but this is not the time to try and lose. Your body and your baby are in control. Enjoy your new bundle of joy and realize there is time later to lose weight.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

I really think you should wait too so you're not shortchanging your child's nutrition over 10 lbs.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I gained 30-40 pounds both times I breastfed my daughters (10-12mo each). Truly, if you just stay reasonable so that you aren't gaining a ton of weight, you'll be in the habit of doing the right things, and it will come off when you've finished breastfeeding. It's no joke that your body does strange things during pregnancy and breastfeeding! Especially at 6 weeks pp, at least give your body some time to readjust.

I'm just now getting off all that pregnancy and breastfeeding weight, and it's 8 years later! You're ahead of the game if you can hold the line in a healthy way.