View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
galefrances
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csabella View Post
Type 2 Diabetes is reversible. ( It is more a symptom than a disease), by that I mean your body is telling you that you need to make changes to your nutrition and exercise routine.
My Father was diagnosed with Adult onset Diabetes( type 2) 11 months ago. He changed his diet, exercised 4 times a week and lost 80 pounds. His blood sugars use to be in the 400's, now he averages 115 to 125 and he is still losing.
Search on You Tube how to reverse type 2 diabetes without the use of medication. I would start off by eliminating all processed foods, eliminate breads, pastas and potatoes. Eat lean meat, lots of fresh vegetables, 1-2 servings of low glycemic fruits and nuts. In essence the Palio Diet ,

I've been a Nurse for over 10 years and I can tell you that you body needs proper nutrition and exercise or it will start sending you signals that it is sick and diabetes is one of those signals! Hope this helps.
Although there is some good advice in this post, such as change in diet and including exercise, I am concerned when people are told they can "reverse" type 2 diabetes. I am also a nurse, for over 22 years. Diabetes type 2 is in fact a disease and to suggest it is only a symptom is not true. There are many people who are obese with sedentary lifestyles who will never develop type 2 diabetes, as well as those who are thin and active that will. Now, you may in fact lower your glucoses with a change in diet and exercise, but that will simply control the disease, not reverse it. For those with insulin resistance brought about by obesity, as long as they maintain their change in diet and lose a significant amount of weight , usually 20%, they can reverse those symptoms because they are not genetically predisposed. But, for those with genetic predisposition, their diabetes is caused by the inability of the islets of langerhorns within the pancreas to either produce enough insulin, or to utilize that insulin effectively. That cannot be reversed, only controlled.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-15-2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: link removed
galefrances is offline   Reply With Quote