Notices

Falling Off The Diet Waggon

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
FitDay Member

Default Falling Off The Diet Waggon

Hi all - I'm newish here. I've been using the site for some time but this is my first post. Can anyone tell me how they climb back on the diet waggon after they fall off? I start off full of good intentions on a Monday but by Thursday, I've given up for the week only to start all over again next Monday. How do I motivate myself to keep it up?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Topaz-Welcome to the forum!

We all "fall off the wagon" from time to time. Here's some tips that might help:

- Log everything you eat/drink and visit forum daily if possible.

- Clean out the kitchen of all tempting foods or at least put them in a hard to reach/see place

- Make sure there's plenty of veggies/fruits/proteins in the frig, ready to eat quickly if you're in a rush

- Have a plan for each meal. After a while, it becomes a habit and planning is automatic.

- I like to focus on how the food I eat is helping every cell in my body--kind of gets me out of the deprivation mindset and more into the positive.

- Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions.

- Drink lots of water.

- Allow yourself one "free" meal or treat a week to ward off cravings.

- AND forgive yourself if you slip up. It's all about progress and not perfection.

I'm sure other forum members have some great ideas as well. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
FitDay Member

when you slip up- get right back on it with the next meal. you have to remind yourself that it's not "all or nothing". Every calorie counts, and the more extra cals you put into your body, the further you'll be from your goal next week. Someone has a signature on this forum that says "If you drop one egg, you don't say 'oh shoot' and drop the other eleven". It is such a good point and now I try to keep that in mind when I slip up like I did this weekend, but got right back on it Sunday.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe you should stop thinking about "dieting" and start thinking about making lifestyle changes. Eating is an every day thing, not a "work week" thing, making yourself start over every Monday, just might be setting you up to treat your diet like a job, and apparently it's a "take this job and shove it" situation? We all have those days, believe me.

I started by eating whatever I wanted, but logging my foods and analyzing my habits for 3-4 days. According to one of my best friends (who also happens to be a nutritionist) you can't make a lifestyle change until you know the what/why/when/with who, where and how of your eating habits. Then I worked on getting rid of my bad habits one at a time. The first week I started exercising every day, not a lot just 15-20 minutes/day. The second week I gave up eating 3 breakfasts, and focused on finding ideas for eating one satisfying healthy breakfast. Breakfast was my worst habit, which I would never have known without the 3 day exercise. Then I worked on finding healthy snacks, figuring out how many calories was right for me, then finding out which combination of carbs/fats/proteins was best for me. So forth and so on. This week I'm trying to get back in the habit of drinking lots of water because I haven't been really good about that lately.

I also have been doing a wellness program called the 5, 10, 15, 20 Challenge which is a daily thing as well, not a weekly regimen. It's 5 servings of fruits and veggies/daily minimum (I always go over that), 10,000 steps on a pedometer, 15 minutes of strengthening exercise per day (1,500 calories or less if you're overweight) and 20 stands for 2,000 of your 10,000 steps have to be aerobic. That way I have daily goals for health and wellness that have nothing to do with eating rice cakes and lettuce for lunch.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

I feel that pain and frustration. I cycled through off and on, off and on for years. It lowered my self esteem & shredded the belief that I could be thin & healthy (very defeated attitude). On the other hand what it showed me (we can learn something from every 'failure' & 'mistake') is that HOW I was going about losing weight wasn't working for me & that I had to keep looking for something better that worked for me.

What's made a difference, BIG difference, is that I now have the mindset that Almeeker just wrote about. This is my new lifestyle so I'm learning new habits that are comfortable enough and that work for me (regardless of what any books or other people say) and that I can maintain forever. My goal is to be healthy, strong and in the normal weight range. No race, no blasting through this like in the past. I'm taking my time to learn about how my body reacts to certain foods (like learning that starchy foods & red meat causes me to stall....drat!) and with Fitday learning how to eat all the nutrients & fiber my body needs to stay strong. And I'm finding exercises that I can stick with for the rest of my life as well as learning how to do them without injuring myself.

The other big help for me is to stay focused on #1 what my goal weight brings and #2 the mini-goals that I've achieved along the way. Write down how you'll feel and look and the things you'll be doing differently once you're at your goal weight. Keep track of your progress. Set mini-goals (10 pound loss, new dress size, inches off the waist or hips, etc). This way when you're fixating on a certain food, having a weak moment or just feeling defeated or low, you can ask yourself if you want to ruin that progress (list them all) and remember how hard you worked to get that progress and remind yourself of the good stuff waiting for you at the goal weight. The food loses it's grip and does not seem worth the price when challenged with these facts.

Lastly to stay on track, I don't allow the most tempting foods that I avoid (pizza, pastries, cookies) into the house & keep my allowable treats (but must limit the amounts) out of sight so I don't see them when I go foraging for a snack during times of weakness. I keep my veggies & homemade treats front & center so I see them first thing in the fridge and cabinets. I either come here to Fitday and read, read, read (very motivating stuff!!) or I'll exercise if all else fails.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Hello All,

I'm new here too, i've been reading your posts and trying the tips.
a question, my weight flacuates so much and so often, i was 150.0 lb on Monday, 151 on Tuseday and 152.4 today. i have been trying to stic to my calorie count and actually been taking in less calories than i am allowed and still gain the weight. it's really too hard for me to understand. does anyone have any explanations to help me here? Thank You,
Farah
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by farahb7
Hello All,

I'm new here too, i've been reading your posts and trying the tips.
a question, my weight flacuates so much and so often, i was 150.0 lb on Monday, 151 on Tuseday and 152.4 today. i have been trying to stic to my calorie count and actually been taking in less calories than i am allowed and still gain the weight. it's really too hard for me to understand. does anyone have any explanations to help me here? Thank You,
Farah
Instead of lowering your calories (the danger is that your metabolism slows down making weight loss even harder) try going over your Fitday food journal to see what caused the weight gain. For me it's starchy foods, especially grains. I can eat the same amount of calories but if I eat starchy foods I'll stall, if I eat grains I gain weight. Also salt can cause a temporary water weight gain in some people. Oh, also I found that red meat causes me to stall as well. I've heard that dairy can be a culprit for some people. If you have any food allergies or sensitivities it can cause the weight gain usually b/c you're retaining fluids related to inflammation.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
FitDay Member

A couple more thoughts:

Do not weight every day. You'll become obsessed with minute changes in the numbers. Going by poundage alone can be decieving. I weigh once a week and that's it.

Don't think of it as weekly. It's daily. If you fall off the wagon, start the next day anew.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the ideas - I know part of it is an emotional issue because if I feel down I eat! Then I feel down because I overate and its a vicious cycle. Its just finding the mindset to diet - I've done it before but the weight creeps back when you are not looking
Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by topazD
Thanks for the ideas - I know part of it is an emotional issue because if I feel down I eat! Then I feel down because I overate and its a vicious cycle.
Been there & done that. From personal experience I realize that only we can break our cycle/vortex. In other words, it's not something that takes care of itself (drat!). For many of us with food issues, or food whatever, we have to dig down deep over & over to find what works for us & for the motivation that keeps us out of the vortex. I experienced it as a downward spiral so I called it being trapped in my vortex of energy. It took me many decades of up & down until I found what did & didn't work for me & how to keep finding the inner strength to endure & maintain the momentum to stop falling back into the vortex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.