Notices

How to log beef??

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to log beef??

So easy with chicken.. Boneless, skinless, boom..

But all the different beef stuff is driving me nuts!

Is it separable lean and fat? separable lean only? What the hell is separable?

Choice cut? select?

Trimmed to 1/8 fat? Huh??

What would you call this eye of round pot roast, for example, that I trimmed all the fat off of?

200 calorie difference between 1/8 and 0" fat trimmed..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eye of round 2 (Large).jpg (93.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

If you cut all visible fat from the roast, I would use the "0 fat" choice. As for the grade of beef, that should be listed on the packaging label (it is required in the US, not sure how it works in other countries). Make sure that you choose your portion as "cooked" or "raw" depending on when/how you are measuring, as this will also make a difference in nutritional values.

Good Luck
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah the grade wasn't mentioned, and generally isn't in Canada, unless it's prime, just as a selling point..

Thanks! What's the separable part mean? How much marbling in the beef? Isn't that covered (or not, here) by grade?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM
FitDay Member

Not sure on the "seperable" but I assume that it is refering to something that can be removed rather than the internal marbeling of the meat. I don't know anything about Canadian packaging, but check to see if it gives any indication on how lean the meat is. Ground meat in the US has labels like "80/20" or "93/7" to let you know the lean to fat ratio.

The amount of fat in a cut of meat is covered by the grade here. If I recall correctly, choice is low grade, select is mid grade, and prime is top grade. The higher the grade, the more tender the meat due to the amount of fat in the muscle tissue.

I hope this helps, and good luck in your journey
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah, there's nothing like that up here, unfortunately. Thanks, though..
Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
FitDay Member

In that case, I would say assume that all cuts of meat are "select" which will put you in the mid of the pack, unless you are sure that it is higher (ex: prime rib) or lower (ex: stew beef). The tougher the meat, the lower the fat content.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 PM
FitDay Member

Good idea!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

If you have trimmed all the fat off, then I would say the "fat not eaten" is appropriate to select; other than that, you just have to go with the cut of meat (steak, roast) and the method of cooking. I see what you're saying, though...just having the choice of "steak" or "roast," for example, gives you quite a range of fat content depending on the cut, and this is not accurately reflected in the options.

My advice would be, for more specific info, to look on the label of your meat (if it has a nutrition label) or google "calories in...." whatever specific cut of anything you eat, then either create a custom food or find something in FitDay that seems closest and enter that.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

I tried googling different cuts of steaks, and you just get hits for calorie counters with a similar myriad of definitions..

Looks like it's way easier in the States to figure it out.. I'll keep on plugging away, though..

A difference of 100-200 cals can make a big difference, and I'd rather not take beef off the rotation..
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 AM
FitDay Member

If you still can't find the nutrition info on line (check the site I PMd you first) I would always pick the higher calorie cut...better to over estimate than under estimate if you know what I mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.