Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > Forum Feedback and Support > FitDay 2.0 Feedback & Support
Windows Antivirus 2012 (is a virus itself!) in fitday >

Windows Antivirus 2012 (is a virus itself!) in fitday

Community
Notices

Windows Antivirus 2012 (is a virus itself!) in fitday

Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
This is looks to be a redirect to another webpage. It looks kind of like Windows Explorer but if you look at the top you will see it actually is a URL that it has hijacked you off to.
This virus can infect your computer while you are browsing any site or forum that you trust.

As rpmcduff states this virus redirects you to another URL This malware puts a rootkit in your system then scans/changes your files. The rootkit will use an IP/TCP address that came with it. Users are usually not aware that they are browsing on a highjacked connection allowing the hackers to obtain sensitive information about you. (CC, passwords, sites you visit, etc.

This scareware is pretty sneaky. It tricks people into thinking they have a virus when they don't. When that windows warning pops up, all it takes is one click on it to allow the virus into your computer. It is a malware program that you download unknowingly through the fake pop up notice, free downloads, shareware, etc. You will continue to randomly see the warning window unless you completely remove the virus. Once it is rooted in your system it is difficult to remove but not impossible.

I dealt with this virus a few years ago. It was called the PC AntiSpyware 2010 virus a few years ago (same windows pop up that rpmcduff posted).

I am not an expert but I was able to remove the virus after 5 days of trial and error (and many headaches).

The best way to avoid getting the virus is to download software directly from the main site, instead of using pop up windows that tell you to download "blank" now. Avoid opening any shared media links/attachments(from email, family, friends, etc.) before scanning, to make sure they are not infected. Never download any software without scanning for viruses first.

The best way to avoid activating the virus is to remove the rootkey and any other files it may have added to your system is by updating your operating system and browser. Make sure your antivirus software performs regular scans and make sure it includes an anti malware feature. Check to make sure your firewall is ON. Filter and delete any spam mail.

I would also suggest checking that you have not been infected with a DNSChanger. You will have to check every computer that uses the network if it is shared. Check each system for a DNSChanger rootkey and remove the rootkey from each infected system before reconfiguring your router and changing your password.

This virus has been around for a while. It may show up as XP, Vista, Win 7, 8, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 (etc.) "Windows Antivirus" It does not matter what browser you use.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

I have Prevx (which does look for rootkits) and apparently it doesn't notice it!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

This antivirus thing has been happening to me - September 2012. This is the first day it hasn't in over two weeks. Is it clean now?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

I ran a scan with SuperAnti-virusSpyware (you can download it for free if you google it) and I don't seem to be having the problem anymore. That may just be a coincidence that Fitday got their servers cleaned up?? I only every got this from accessing Fitday pages so I'm not sure it where it was actually residing.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I cannot address the specifics of this virus, but I had a problem with a different virus, also despite having virus protection on my computer. I called McAfee and got the shill about their phone assistance program. I was highly skeptical, since I had already purchased the hardware, did not expect much, but I was desparate. So, I sucumbed and purchased the service, not expecting much, but hoping. I far exceeded anything I could have expected. The tech on the phone was knowledgeable to the virus, knew exactly what to do, spent 30 minutes with me on the phone explaining what the problem was, and then let me go off-line while he worked on my computer for nearly two hours, cleaning up the virus and several other issues.

Within 5 minutes after he completed his work (and everything was working well) his supervisor called to check on how things had gone. And, for the single purchase price I have this service on all my devices, mac and pc, for a year. Unbelievable.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that McAfee has much to offer! Now, I use Prevx, but in the past used McAfee and stopped using it because I preferred other software for certain functions. Still, it's very good.

The virus seems to have retreated. I don't know if it's gone but I assume the fitday people looked into it and that had some effect.