View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mern
FitDay Member

Sorry, Hunny! I thought I had posted over the weekend, but I must have been thinking about the email I sent to a friend about my new goals. Kudos on your runs! I joined you in going off the wagon slightly this weekend, indulging at dinner at a restaurant with DH last night--mashed potatoes with gravy and a slice of banana bread. But I'm back on the wagon today with new goals.

Cassie, I guess the slight cheats were contageous, too, since you and I and Hunny indulged a little over the weekend. But I'm ready to go with new goals this week that I'm QUITE confident will work for me.

I ditched the modified TLC diet that I tried that evidently was not giving me enough calories. The diet itself was great and allows for more calories but I had to reduce my calories to close to 1200 because of my personal carb and protein restrictions and the total fat restrictions of the TLC diet itself. Despite my continuing to exercise 5 days a week, my weight loss stalled out on the modified TLC diet- and I believe it's because the modifications I made caused my body to protest to too low calories for my body's needs.

I'm going to increase my calories by 100-200 per day sensibly by adding back to my diet monounsaturated fats from daily olive oil and/or half a Haas avocado that Doc told me I didn't need because my saturated fat and dietary cholesterol limits along with my fish oil and red yeast rice powder supplements were all I needed to help reduce my high cholesterol to normal. And she was right--my high cholesterol IS normal now, but now I could really benefit from more monounsaturated fats since I I'm pretty sure I need more calories and can't increase my carbs or protein. If I this works to get my scale moving again (absolutely positive it won't raise my blood sugar and cholesterol back to high levels) I'll be so "full of myself" you won't be able to stand me.

Caution: do not take red yeast rice supplement in any form (either powder or extract) without your doctor's knowledge and permission. And be aware that red yeast rice extract has the same health risks carried by the statin class of medications for high cholesterol (that I am not willing to take) and can interact with other medications. The red yeast rice powder I take carries only miminal risks such as upset stomach or diarrhea--but I have no problems with it at all.

This week's goals:
Calorie average 1300-1400
Dietary cholesterol average 250mg or less
Saturated fat average 10% or less of total calories
Net carbs after deducting fiber 25g
Fiber minimum 25g
Protein average 120g or more
Exercise 5 days
Morning and evening supplements
Nutritious snack that won't take me off target
Weight 6/25/2014 233 that obviously included a lot of water retention
Weight 8/13/2014 224.2 with an eye on "Onederland"

Last edited by Mern; 09-10-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Mern is offline   Reply With Quote