View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #64 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Happy Sunday! It's been a lovely weekend . I did decide to have a relaxing day yesterday instead of painting the ceiling. I ended up baking and cooking all day; I tried three new recipes and miraculously stayed pretty much on target with my calories, less than 100 over. I made banana bread, light shortcakes with freshly whipped cream and strawberries, and fish tacos with homemade salsa and chipotle pepper-adobo sauce. I did a 40-minute workout with the weights and hubby and I went for a half-hour run.

I've just finished watching the men's semis (US Open) and am getting ready to roll right into Orioles-Yankees game, after which I hope to hit the trail for another run and then work on my son's scrapbook for a bit this evening. Our heat and humidity has broken for now (we'll get it back for a bit, I'm sure), but it is wonderful to have the windows open and to get outside.

Although I think I'm in trouble for this coming week...hubby is currently on a website and has informed me that it is Restaurant Week in our area...there are about 20 restaurants that are offering prix fixe menus with appetizers, entrees, and desserts for $15, $25, or $35. One of the places has listed as a dessert fried Oreo beignets, dusted with powdered sugar and served with ice cream. Eek

Quinn, I totally hear where you are. When I was growing up, my whole family was in the same town and I always saw aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, everyone. My town also feels like it is still a part of me in many ways, part happy nostalgia and part wistful knowing that it will never be the same. Lately I've been combing the internet to find classic recipes that I remember from restaurants there and replicating them...along with ones my grandmothers used to make. It's also bittersweet. At any rate, I'm glad you had such a great day with your mom and in moving on in this next phase.

Judi, hope the salsa is going well for you today and that the boys are pulling their weight!!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck

Last edited by cjohnson728; 09-09-2012 at 05:40 PM.
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote