Notices

Weight loss in post-menopausal women

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Post Weight loss in post-menopausal women

Report of new research study. Is long-term weight loss possible after menopause?

In summary, reducing desserts and sugar-added drinks important for both short-term loss and long-term maintenance. Long-term, adding vegetables and fruits to diet and limiting meats and cheeses important.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting this!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:03 AM
FitDay Member

Aren't those the factors in weight loss regardless of age?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by JaneMaple
Aren't those the factors in weight loss regardless of age?
When I was younger, I lost weight and kept it off with a low-carb approach that didn't have much fruit. So I find it useful to see what longitudinal studies show for women my age.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Short- and Long-Term Eating Habit Modificat... [J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

There's the abstract of the study.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

I've always followed low carb diets when I was dieting, but after the age of 40, they worked less and less until recently I didn't lose at all. I was keeping my carbs below 40g a day and eating less than 1200 calories but I was unable to lose weight.

Recently, I adjusted my low carb to count percentages here at Fitday and I have started to lose weight. I am keeping my counts at about 65% fats, 24% protein and less than 15% carbs. My calorie count is now about 1800 per day.

I don't want to cut the calories too low because the body will adjust and cause more problems. I've been doing this for 15 weeks and have lost about 13 lbs. It is very slow, but it is working.

I am 68 years old, so I am definitely post menopausal.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Atrsy
I've always followed low carb diets when I was dieting, but after the age of 40, they worked less and less until recently I didn't lose at all. I was keeping my carbs below 40g a day and eating less than 1200 calories but I was unable to lose weight.

Recently, I adjusted my low carb to count percentages here at Fitday and I have started to lose weight. I am keeping my counts at about 65% fats, 24% protein and less than 15% carbs. My calorie count is now about 1800 per day.

I don't want to cut the calories too low because the body will adjust and cause more problems. I've been doing this for 15 weeks and have lost about 13 lbs. It is very slow, but it is working.

I am 68 years old, so I am definitely post menopausal.
Thanks for posting Artsy, this topic comes up a lot and although I'm post menapausal too, I often don't know how to respond.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Pam, the first few weeks I was loosing 3, 3.5 and 2 lbs, but then it went down to 1/2 lb and now it seems to be between 1/4 and 1/2. I have had two gains in the 16 weeks, but after each, I lost that gain and a little more. I know this will be slow, and that's ok. I don't want to lose too quickly because at this age, it takes a toll on your appearance. Skin doesn't shrink as quickly and you start to look a little saggy, baggy, and wrinkled in the face. I still have people telling me I look 55, so the low carb does work.