Notices

Not losing

Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default Not losing

Help! I joined the gym 10 weeks ago. I started out going 3 or 4 times a week. I have not missed one day for the last 5 weeks. I am up to an hour on the step machine and I LOVE this machine. But I am not losing any weight! I have lost one pound! I am getting so discouraged. I have changed my eating habits and I drink about 90 ounces of water a day. I weigh 247 and need to lose 50 pounds. Any advice??
Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

Have you tried lifting weights? There are some movements that activate a lot of muscle groups, yet are low impact as well. Things like seated overhead presses and bodyweight squats will help you build muscle, which in turn helps you burn more fat at rest.

There was a point in my life where I didn't do any cardio at all (I think it's incredibly boring) and only lifted weights, and I lost 20 lbs. , so I'm speaking from experience. The step machine may be conditioning your glutes really well but it's really only burning fat for the hour that you're using it. With weights you don't burn much while you're actually at the gym, but you burn TONS more while you're resting and recovering afterwards.

Good luck,

-Nik
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

Well it sounds like your off to a good start by changing your diet to more of a lifestyle change. One thing that I may reccomened is that along with starting to strenght train (1-2 week) it might help if you mix your cardio up. I find that if i do the same activity every day I don't see as many results because my body is getting used to the routine. Challenge yourself, and either go harder, or do that machine one day and another one the next. Good Luck
Old 04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
FitDay Member

Make sure you aren't leaning on the handles or the sides of the machine. If there's a hand rest, it's easy to cheat and not realize you're doing it. If your arms are bearing weight, you aren't getting the burn you think you are.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
FitDay Member

Default Check Your Thyroid

Zahut,

In addition to the excellent workout advice given on here, have your thyroid checked.

I don't have health insurance, but a homeopathic doctor showed me a cheap and easy way to check: Buy a small bottle of iodine (less than $5 at the drug store) and paint a 2-3" square on your forearm with a Q-tip, filling it in thoroughly. Leave for 24 hours. Don't get it wet, saran wrap it if you must shower. The more faded it is after the test, the more likely that your thyroid needs a boost.

The meds that he recommended were called Thyro-Complex by Progressive Laboratories. I found them cheaper online (like $12 a bottle or so). I'm sure there are similar products out there as well. If you need to get a thyroid product, make sure it is an adequate source of iodine.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM
FitDay Member

What does your calorie pie chart look like? I've found I lose more weight if I push my percentage of protein up over 30% and keep my carbs below 50%. I could eat 1,200 calories/day and not lose an ounce, if my intake is primarily carbs and fats.