Notices

Low impact exercise suggestions

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Default Low impact exercise suggestions

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for low impact exercise that help you lose weight? I have a buggered knee and have had for a number of years. I was told at the time that I needed to have surgery but haven't had the time or finances to look at repairing it. While time is still an issue, finances are a bit better. However I am now about 30lbs heavier than when I actually injured my knee so wanted to lose some weight before having the surgery. I am working on improving my eating habits (thanks to FitDay logging) but am looking for some exercise I can do to assist in weight loss.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM
FitDay Member

water aerobics would probably be good or resistance bands you could use sitting down
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

I would look into water aerobics, swimming or even a low impact pilates or yoga class. A daily stretching of the muscles around the knee is a great start.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

I also have a bad knee (I've had surgery on it previously) and it just doesn't like the pounding of running. I have been able to use the elliptical machine quite extensively. I am currently doing about 40 minutes on the elliptical each workout. I also do squats (with dumbbells), machine leg extension and machine leg curls to help strengthen the leg muscles around the knee. These are all low impact but you need to be the judge of what your physical limitations are.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Exercise for bad knees

I also have bad knees, and my orthopedist recommended cycling. It strengthens the quads, which helps stabilize the knee joint, and is aerobic without the damage of running.

I am finding that the rowing machine also is good. And, of course, swimming (but I find it easier to get to the gym than to a pool). Strength training is good, if you work with a trainer to create a routine that doesn't stress the knees, and use appropriate weights.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I live near a fitness center with a pool. A bunch of us play watervolleyball after an hour of regular exercise in the pool. Several with bad knees have lost weight and it is enjoyable. Walking in the pool is easier on the knee too, or swimming