Thread: Hello there
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

And I agree with Jaime. There is no specific number of calories you "should" eat, but a pound is roughly equivalent to 3500 calories. If you have a deficit of 500 calories per day (times seven days), you should lose a pound a week. Obviously, if you exercise, you will burn more calories, so you could eat more and still have the same deficit. If you reduce to 2200 and burn 2500, you have a deficit of 300 per day, so it will take you ~12 days to lose a pound, without added exercise.

One thing I do when I have chocolate cravings is to cut up some fruit on a plate and drizzle some chocolate syrup over it. It doesn't have anywhere near the calorie impact of a chocolate bar. Also, I personally don't believe in giving up anything completely (though it works for some), but I do plan for indulgences I take and make sure I can work them into my food log goals. Most times this works; sometimes it just ends up being a free for all and I try to move on the next day .

About the weighing, you have to do what's right for you. Some weigh daily, some weekly, maybe even monthly; some go by how clothes fit or the tape measure. There is no right answer; it's completely up to you and what works for you personally.

Good to have you here!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote