View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeMWS View Post
Thanks, Ron! And thanks for the link to bodybuilders.com - I hadn't found it. I am NOT going to compete in bodybuilder competitions, but it is interesting to read the transformation stories. I think one of the psychological impediments to fat loss is resistance to becoming "smaller." I, at least, feel at some level that my social power becomes diminished when I am viewed as a "small woman." (My profession is one that traditionally was done only by men.) So I tend to stall when I lose enough to not be perceived as "fat" when wearing clothes. ("Fat woman" has no social power.) Focusing on building muscle and physical power counters that sense of diminution.
I had not considered the positive pyschological impact of weight training and its impact, especially for women. Now that I think about it I am not suprised at your view. I gain self esteem from not just my physical appearance but also because of my increased physical strength. Like you I will never compete, but I intend to improve my strength and physical appearance for the rest of my life. I can see where the improvement in physical strength could be even more important for a womans self esteem. When your physical size is deminishing your improved strength (along with your toned muscles) helps maintain your self esteem and feeling of power and ability. I hope some other members have a light-bulb moment from this idea also!

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote