Fast pased walking. >

Fast pased walking.

Community
Notices

Fast pased walking.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fast pased walking.

I have heard that it is very healthy to walk at least 30 minutes a day, most people do this after dinner. In addition to the work out on my Elliptical, if I walked for 30 minutes a day or more. Will this help me lose weight or is this such a small workout that it won't really have any effect at all?

I would run but I suffer from migraines and running triggers them most of the time.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

You will still lose weight. It burns calories...if you ran you would lose weight faster..but walking still loses weight because you burn calories, and continue making a bigger calorie deficit.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:10 AM
FitDay Member

Walking burns the same calories as running. It's the distance that counts. True, running is better for the cardiovascular benefit, but increasing your walking distance is definitely good for fat loss! Don't go by time though, as your walking speed will vary depending on your energy levels.

-Nik
Old 04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Walking is great. I disagree that it's the distance. I always feel so good when I get done with a walk, and I can't say that for a run or a hop on the elliptical. Maybe it doesn't burn the same calories, but for your peace of mind and mental health and well being it's totally worth every second.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM
FitDay Member

It's in the physics. Energy is force (aka weight) x distance. Since you're moving the same amount of weight (yours) over say, a mile, regardless of whether you're running or walking, you're expending the same calories. If you increase your speed you'd be burning more calories per minute because you take less time to complete the mile. So, running for 30 minutes burns more calories than walking for 30 minutes because you're covering a greater distance. But running for 5 miles and walking for 5 miles burns an identical amount of energy.

-Nik
Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 AM
FitDay Member

tandoor, how can that be?
If I run 5 miles, I would have definitely expended alot more energy to do so than if I had just easily walked it. Running 5 miles is also quicker than walking five miles, it takes more calories because running taxes your body because you are going at a faster rate...I can walk anywhere and not feel tired, but if I run there, I will be more tired. Explain how I burned the same amount of calories then.
I understand the calories per minute thing...how does the calories per minute in running 5 miles end up totalling the same amount of cals per minute in walking 5 miles?

Last edited by DeathArrow; 04-18-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

all the running magazines/books say running burns more calories than walking. I've read in numerous places that running burns about 100 cal/mile (100 cal over what your body would burn if you were just sitting) and walking about 80 cal/mile.

regardless, walking or running is a great activity, and adding it to your daily routine will burn more calories, which in the end will help you lose weight faster.. how fast you lose weight is really an individualized answer; everyone is so different in how they lose weight.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Just re-read what I wrote and I realized it makes no sense. Thanks for the correction. What I meant was in terms of fat loss it's about the same, unless you're sprinting or doing some other high intensity activity. When you walk, you're burning a higher proportion of fat because it's low impact and you're not taxing your muscles as much. When you jog, each step is like a plyometric push for your legs, so your muscles start to dip into your glycogen stores (quick fuel --> quicker recovery). You do burn more calories, but you burn a similar amount of fat as walking because the proportion of fat you burn is less.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Nik
Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Ah yes, Nik that does indeed make more sense. I can understand that logic. I think I will keep running though, it feels like I am doing more lol.