Community
Notices

Fell off the wagon...again :(

Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM
FitDay Member

Default Fell off the wagon...again :(

I'm a busy nursing student aspiring to be healthy, despite my love for baking. My fall semester is about to begin & I really want to keep up with my exercising & eating healthy. Last spring semester I did really well. I lost 13 lbs which I think was pretty good for a 5'2" frame. I went to the rec center at least 3x per week & always made healthy lunches & controlled my dinner portions. I journaled my thoughts & logged my food. But once summer break came along & I no longer had class or access to the awesome gym, I lost all motivation. I even took a Wilton cake decorating class this summer which led to everyone in the house gaining at least 5 lbs! The cakes are soo good...but so bad! Anyway... I haven't gained all my starting weight back...but I still haven't reached my goal. I love healthy foods, cooking healthy, & fun workouts. I'm hoping my soon-to-be busy schedule will help me stay on track. Any tips for how to stay motivated? All help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
FitDay Member

It can happen to anyyone. I've gained weight this summer too, it's easier to lose control and break your good habits, it's just a matter of getting back in line. Think positive, you have already done it, you can do it again
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 PM
FitDay Member

Perhaps your love of cooking can be part of your motivation? I am enjoying learning new ways to cook foods that are healthy as well as yummy. I have always liked to cook but now I am cooking foods I never considered before. I like the challenge of re-vamping old fav's so that they are better for me and my family.
One week I tried cooking something from a different country for several nights in a row; I made sang choy bow, greek lamb wraps with homemade garlic sauce made with low fat yoghurt, I made a lower fat version of a chicken curry using fresh spices and reduced fat coconut milk and a stir-fry dish with a bit of thai influence.
Perhaps you could have some fun trying out some healthier versions of desserts and sweets.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there- i totally agree with nichaleh, i love cooking too and although i love baking i had to stop doing it because at the moment i havent enough self control to stop myself eating all of what i make. Just cant trust myself.
I will do it again though but dont plan on making 40 just enough and smaller sizes meaning fewer calories. Then im thinking to use granulated sweetener instead of sugar and using extra light margarine. Thinking of finding a recipe that uses less eggs. Ive used low fat natural yoghurt in my baking and that worked really well. I just experiment and see what happens, not good enough to sell but as long as the family enjoy it and we dont get food poisoning its ok.
Evening family meals, im also finding the alternatives that i can enjoy without the added calories. Simple switches to extra lean mince, leaner cuts of meat, reduced fat sausages and cheese etc. There is a big price difference over in England with the low fat but ive learned to say to myself that me and my kids healthy lives are worth the cost.
Healthy food tastes better especially when you know its not a recipe for a heart attack and full of good nutrition.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks y'all!

Thanks for all the replies. I agree, I need to use my love of cooking to make healthy recipes. Pinterest has a lot of great healthy & nutritious recipe ideas. It also has a lot of unhealthy dessert ideas that I'd love to try but I want to make some weight loss progress before I get back to those! Tonight, I made Hawaiian barbeque crock pot chicken that was very tasty & was much healthier than the fast food I've been eating a lot of lately. Earlier today when I was craving a sweet, I ate some homemade fruit salad instead. And instead of staying inside today, away from the blazing Texas heat, I went outside and swam a few laps in the pool. It feels good to be proud of myself, even if I've only accomplished one day back into the lifestyle I want. Thanks again for posting. Y'all keep me motivated!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 PM
FitDay Member

Hawaiian chicken crockpot- im intrigued- i love using my crockpot, such a healthy way of cooking.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

I'm in the same boat - er...wagon? I'm a teacher and by Spring Break, I had lost 18 lbs. The routine and busy busy nature of a school day leaves zero room for straying. Summer vacation = parties/ vacation/ home all day = 10 lbs. regained .
I'm turning 40 in September and I was really banking on the weight loss trend to ring in the new decade.