Notices

Greetings

Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Greetings

Hello-

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, so I'll give a little bit of my story.

I've struggled with weight pretty much since I was 4 or 5, so about as long as I can remember. I've had some success here and there, but at 24, I am frankly tired of fighting this battle and losing. What was worst of all was that after having made a commitment to being healthier, within three weeks I broke my leg while doing a service project, and that had me off my feet for a while. Luckily, I actually lost weight during that time. Still, I find that I tend to want to use that as an excuse to not do as much as I could, though I do need to have some consideration but that will get better as I lose more weight. I know that there are a lot of factors outside of my control (my parents also both struggle with their weight and have fought the same battles) but I also know that I am the only one who can really make the difference in my own life and that I do have the choice to treat my body well. I have a strong faith background and am studying to go into ministry, so I have my faith to give me support, and I know that I will be more effective in ministry if I am healthier.

I wish everyone here the best of luck with reaching their goals, and thank you for the support as I work toward mine.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome mabyerly,
I am so glad you found us. It is really about taking the steps you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the rest of you life.

Most of us start with little steps at first, things that are fairly easy to accomplish and make a habit (or break a habit) of. For lots of us it was increasing water consumption and decreasing soda (or in my case, ahem! beer ). It will take several weeks of conscientiously remembering to drink water, but after a while it will become much more of a habit. Then move on to the next thing. Try your best to avoid getting impatient with yourself and the process. We're talking about long term changes, not "30 lbs in 3 weeks" and then back to the old habits.

FitDay will provide you with lots of tools to look at your habits closely, identify the ones that are not contributing to a health lifestyle, and then track your progress as you make the changes that will be with you for the rest of your long, healthy & happy life.

There is tons of wisdom, advise, and opportunity for the occassional rant here . So jump on in the water is fine.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome. Lots of good people here who would love to see you succeed and a wealth of knowledge from people like Pam in the previous post. Don't be afraid to ask questions or share your struggles.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

You say you lost weight after your injury. Look carefully and see if you can see how that happened. Whatever it was, you can use that experience - it was success, after all - as you go forward.