Notices

P90x advice

Old 05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
FitDay Member

Question P90x advice

Hi guys. I was wandering if any one here attempted or is presently on the p90x program. If so what do they think of it and is it realistic to attempt at 400lb.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I know Mike has done it, but he's a little fella ;-)

I have a copy--I watched about 10 minutes of the first disk--even a couple hundred pounds lighter now I can't do it.

Back when I was 400+, no freaking way. Perhaps you're in better shape than I was, but walking 50ft. was about the extent of what I could manage w/o gasping for breath.

I would really suggest walking as a good way to start out. Perhaps some lifting if you have the equipment available. Whatever you do, go slow and don't hurt yourself.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

P90X is intense! You need to be in at least decent shape before using it. I'm not in too bad of shape myself, and I even had a hard time staying consistent with it. It's more of a program to take you to the next fitness level. Build your strength and stamina, lose some weight first, THEN do P90X.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco

I have a copy--I watched about 10 minutes of the first disk--even a couple hundred pounds lighter now I can't do it.

Back when I was 400+, no freaking way. Perhaps you're in better shape than I was, but walking 50ft. was about the extent of what I could manage w/o gasping for breath.

I would really suggest walking as a good way to start out. Perhaps some lifting if you have the equipment available. Whatever you do, go slow and don't hurt yourself.

Regards,
Michael

Thanks for the reply man. Its certainly good to talk with someone whose been there and is winning the fight.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AshleyNicole43
P90X is intense! You need to be in at least decent shape before using it. I'm not in too bad of shape myself, and I even had a hard time staying consistent with it. It's more of a program to take you to the next fitness level. Build your strength and stamina, lose some weight first, THEN do P90X.
Thanks for the advice man.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I did P90X and had good results (15 lb. weight loss, increase in muscle density). It's not a cardio program, even though there is some cardio in it. And it's not a weight loss program. It's primarily a strength-building program, which is very important for losing weight, to be sure. I did not lose as much weight on it as I needed to get to my goal. I think you'd need at least two rounds to do that. That said, if you modify it to replace the yoga and Kenpo with more serious cardio or running, you'll see more of a weight loss than the standard program will give you.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco

Regards,
Michael
It's very difficult and will push you to the limit. I would recommend finding another way to get weight down first.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

I am probably too late for this thread but I started with the precussor to P90X. It is a traditional weight loss program. Still tough but not has extreme as P90X. Start with Level 1-2 which is about 30 minutes and progress to Level 3-4. Once you feel you have a solid foundation and ready to advance there is the bridge to P90X or just go straight to P90X.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 11-07-2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Links in post violate terms of use; removed.