View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewu80 View Post
I know this question is long dead but I felt compelled to chime in since the answers provided were incredibly wrong.

I can explain this phenomenon for you very easily:

1) A calorie is a unit of energy.

2) When you consumes a piece of broccoli your body uses energy to break it down.

3) Raw broccoli is much harder to break down than cooked broccoli therefore it uses up more energy.

4) Since the raw broccoli is using more energy to be consumed, it's calorie count is lower than cooked broccoli.
The answers given are not necessarily incorrect. While there is some truth to the fact that cooked vegetables can have slightly more calories due to starches generated in cooking, that is not what this question refers to. If you search "broccoli, cooked" in FitDay, you get about 103 calories per cup. If you search raw, you get about 30 calories per cup. The difference in cooked and raw forms does not account for 70 calories, no way, and no matter how much more your body supposedly has to work to break it down. The FitDay search function is such that you have to specify cooked, fat not added in cooking in order to obtain the accurate measure, if that indeed is how it was prepared, as Frenchhen noted above. Same goes for frozen fruits; for some reason it assumes sugared unless you specify.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote