View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Icewithin
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitii View Post
Greetings, all... I'm a 54 yo male, mostly sedentary for most of my life, who woke up one day to find that he weighed 262. Mortified is a mild way of putting it. So, I decided to do something about it.

I started walking... 3-3.5mph.. brisk... with the goal of keeping my heartrate over 130 for at least 300 minutes per week. I cut way back on diet soda (I was a hopeless addict... drinking sometimes a gallon+ per day), and drink almost all water now. I also changed my diet to cut out sugar and to conform to the South Beach Phase 2 or at least Phase 3 standards.

Now... after walking 30 straight days... 4.5 miles per day... I weighed myself again (same scales), and found that I had lost a whopping 1 lb.

I told my wife to hide the knives and sharp instruments. I battled through that month... hurt almost constantly, exhausted pretty much continuously, but I did it. Now, I've bumped up my routine to 6 miles per day, and I'm getting more serious about the diet aspect, maintaining a quasi Phase I/Phase II regimen.

Any advice? Comments? Am I doing this all wrong?
I feel your pain, I have been through the same myself. 49 but female and sedentary all my life then I threw myself onto a trainer and at the end of the month ... NO loss!! I perservered and the next month 1.5lb loss. I have kept it up and the trainer keeps upping my reps and intensity etc etc and now I'm up to 31lb lost but it has taken me almost a year.

My trainer advises me to do resistance training as well as my cardio and when I complain and whine that the weight isn't going she tells me to:

REMEMBER weight is just a number the thing to focus on is health and the way you feel and the way your clothes fit.

Target Weight is 9st 10lb for 13/04/13 49lb still to go

Now at 13st 3lb 31lbs lost so far
Icewithin is offline   Reply With Quote