View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bhaltair
FitDay Member

Default 37 y/o and I feel it's the last chance...

Greetings gents. I just stumbled upon this website and I hope it'll help inspire me. I understand that it's just a place to journal my progress - not really different than keeping track in a notebook, but I have enjoyed seeing the comments and support on these forums.

My family has agreed to some New Year's Resolutions. One of those is fitness. I've always been overweight and unhealthy from 6th grade until now. The only time I was even close to being where I should be is when I was taking kung fu classes and got down to 218 being mostly muscle.
Currently I'm 274 or so, down from 288 on new year's.

I purchased an elliptical from Nordictrack and have been using that almost daily. I have had some back injuries to where my middle back doesn't want to bend properly and my upper back gets locked to where the rest of my spine compensates for the movement. The Elliptical has been great for no impact and it's allowing me to RUN for the first time in years.

The website sucks for exercise progress tracking. It for one doesn't have Elliptical tracking, but even if it did, it seems like the calories burned reported on all websites don't match with what is reported on the actual elliptical because they can't predict what resistance etc. you used.

How do you all cope with these circumstances? It seems like the food journal is for prepared foods with too much fat etc. I thankfully have a great wife that really knows how to cook healthy and we're cutting most of the unhealthy fats out of our diet.

My goal is to get down to around 180 in a year. I've never been near that weight unless it was going up through it back when I was 16. My body has been worn down and I feel it's the last chance in my life to succeed in becoming as healthy as I can while I can.

Being careful with my back limitations, when do you suggest starting to weight lift or do calisthenics?
Bhaltair is offline   Reply With Quote