Notices

Hoping this helps!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hoping this helps!

Been recently diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in March. While my A1C is still on the lower end my Dr really wants me to lose weight--well to put it bluntly, I HAVE TO lose weight.
Hoping keeping a log of what I eat will help me to see where I can cut back. Having a hard time being motivated to exercise when it's 90 degrees outside. I use video games (Wii Fit and Biggest Loser) for exercise and walk.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome! I applaud you for taking action. There is a thread in the exercise section that I find helpful - I think it is called "have you exercised today?" Seeing others working out in some way every day encourages me. Tracking food has also helped. Counting calories manually is way too burdensome - FitDay has allowed me to make adjustments that I can live with. I was motivated to start after a friend lost a lot of weight and got fit using a similar program. So far (one month) I haven't lost a lot of weight, but have lost fat and added muscle, and am feeling much healthier. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jjrudd
Been recently diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in March. While my A1C is still on the lower end my Dr really wants me to lose weight--well to put it bluntly, I HAVE TO lose weight.
Hoping keeping a log of what I eat will help me to see where I can cut back. Having a hard time being motivated to exercise when it's 90 degrees outside. I use video games (Wii Fit and Biggest Loser) for exercise and walk.
I was diagnosed as boarder line type 2 in September of last year. From one person who has been on this journy for almost a year, I am happy to share with you that keeping a log of what you eat will help you see where to cut back on. Small steps work the best. Before I was even diagnosed I was watching how much pop I was drinking, and how many sweet treats I was enjoying. I also use the Wii Fit as my work out. I love the plank, and the stepping. The other games are so fun that they don't even feel like your working out. As much as I hate getting lab every 3 months to check my A1C, I am thankful my doctor ran the test. I have learned so much since this site was recommended to me. As far as losing weight I have been able to maiantain a 40lb lose. Don't give up on what you are doing, you will see changes even if no one else does, do to them being tiny from month to month.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for your support. Also need to add that my Mom is not supportive in my lifestyle change. She brings out strawberries for dessert with ice cream. I do tell her that I'm only having the berries but sometimes it's difficult to turn down sweets. I think she's tired of me talking about it. We have entirely different meals for lunch. One of the Diabetes Educators suggested printing off a picture of my new niece as motivation (for why I want a live a healthy life!)
Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Sorry to hear your mom is not supportive. One of the good things about FitDay is that it gives you a place to talk about the lifestyle changes you are making without boring your whole family. (My husband has never had to diet, and my father is an obese type 2 diabetic who when I planned a healthy dinner for my birthday celebration brought a blender to make ice cream and yogurt smoothies for a before-dinner drink!) Actions speak louder than words - every time you eat the strawberries and say "no thanks" to the ice cream, you are teaching your mom - and yourself! - that you are committed to this new way of healthy eating.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

jjrudd: At first my family didn't understand why I kept my oppointments with my dietitian. They kept trying to tell me I shouldn't go to the apppoinments. I to find it hard to turn down sweets at times. These last few days I've been craving them so bad. So, I have gave in to them. Now I'm getting back on track with everything, as in the mornings I feel the so tired do to going over my carbs. I wish more people would talk about there journey. I always learn from sharing. Meal planing has been a challenge for me too. Instead of lunches for me it's the actually dinner that I have trouble planning. Pictures are motivating. I have a picture of when I was at my heaviest, and every month I take a new picture and put it up as a reminder of how far I come. Also because I don't ever want to go back to that weight ever again.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

It's hard not to focus on all the things that I can't eat but if I'm counting carbs/calories I need to be more aware of what goes into my body. Anybody else have that feeling? I miss having pizza but the salt and fat content is insane!! This site makes it easier to calculate.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

You can see at the end of the day, if you feel that you've eaten well, what balance of macronutrients you've had - protein, fat and carbs. You might notice days when you feel like your food choices have been more successful and you've felt satisfied. Then, notice the balance and see if you can replicate that balance again.

I keep my eye on fiber. If I eat more fiber, then I feel more full with fewer calories (fiber is in cereals, high-fiber crackers or breads, and fruits and vegetables).
Old 07-28-2012, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

My biggest motivator in sticking to my low-carb plan is seeing the numbers on the glucometer when I take my blood sugar. I went from insanely high readings (18.0, 19.0) to readings of 5 and 6 within 24 hours of cutting out all the starch, sugar, wheat, flour, pasta, rice, etc. out of my diet. My readings continue to be near normal, and I have gone from 3 diabetes meds (and the threat of having to go on insulin) to one med.

I do have days where I have something off plan (I was at an 80th birthday party a week ago and did have a piece of cake - I made sure it was an inside piece, and I didn't chow down on any of the chips, sandwiches or other high-carb goodies they served), but I promptly go right back on plan and my readings have continued to stay low.

I have been lucky in that I am not craving bread, pasta or sweets, I think cutting them out completely has helped with that, and I have lost 8 lbs. in the past 2 months. could have been more but I have been experimenting a little with low-carb recipes and eating lifestyle. This is a permanent change and I have to learn how to live within a certain range of carbs if I want to keep having good results on the glucometer. BTW, my dr. is thrilled and I am actually looking forward to seeing my 3 month A1c results when I go on Aug. 7.

You can do this, and if your family and friends are not supportive in the beginning you can vent here. I think they will change when they see that you are committed to improving your health. I see that one of our frequent posters has started a new thread in the food talk forum for low-carb recipes you might look there for ideas.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to our world! I've been on my latest journey since january. Im down 26 lbs and am definitely having a tough time with my last 5 pounds, I havent made a dent in about a month! But that is OK, I will never give up! Lets just say that I am practicing my maintenance routine this summer! LOL

But having said that, my A1C is so much better than it was around christmas. 6.4 down from 7.1. Yours will get better too, its amazing what even 5% weight loss with a little bit of exercise can do for your sugar levels! I have more energy and I feel wonderful. I know at some point I will finally chip away these last few pounds. I'm trying the couch to 5K program, I've never been a runner, but its fun being a work in progress. The compliments I've heard from people I dont see very often have been motivating and satisfying. My kids are 8 and 10 and they see a difference too, and now even they come to the track with me and we do our laps all together.

Logging in what I eat and planning has been what has made me successful. If Fitday doesnt have the food, I google it and find it somewhere and make it a custom food. I am really good about this stuff during the week, and my newest mini goal is to be diligent about this over the coming weekend, to get the weight loss back on track. Even -.5 lb in a week is a loss, and is just a bit closer to the goal. I have found the weekends are my toughest time, but soccer season is about to start, and my soccer mom friends and I are committed to helping one another. No sitting in our lawnchairs on the sidelines until our track work is done first!!!!

Stay strong, and when family members tempt you, come here and we will be here by your side to help you abstain. And if you indulge, we will still be here by your side, encouraging you to start fresh tomorrow. I love this place, it will be my online home for many years to come.

Welcome, have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.