Notices

Don't want to be fat at 50

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Default Don't want to be fat at 50

Hello Ladies!

Brand new to this site, but excited to find it. I've been battling weight most of my life, and as I head toward 47, I do NOT want to be battling it still in my 50s. I've recently started a Mediterranean-style diet and an exercise program with my male best friend, who recently had a heart scare. He's an exercise junky, and I'm a couch potato. Hopefully we'll be a good support system. I've already lost 7 lbs in the past week (not that impressive considering the bigger you are, the easier it comes off at first). The food/calorie battle isn't nearly as hard for me as the adding-exercise part. But we did manage to hike 3.5 miles today, and I didn't die. LOL
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hooray for not DYING!!! I welcome you and wish you the best time with your new found outlook on the world. And YES the weight DOES come off quickly at the beginning! Remember to log your weight and measurements!!! Also another measurement that RAPIDLY changes is the "High bust" measurement. If you are a person who sews you will know how to measure that. I've lost the most inches off my high bust! And I don't know of one weight loss program that measures that for women. But by logging those things now, even though those numbers are probably not the happiest times with the tape measure, in 3 months or 4 months or a year, you can look back and see your progress. Some months when I plateaued or now, when the weight loss is as slow as molasses, those measurements from way back, are the things that keep me from giving up.

Another thing that has helped me is a pedometer. It keeps me accountable and literally it is my conscious on my waistband. It lets me know if I am being lazy or if I was good at moving around! I have one that plugs into my computer and I can keep a log of my steps, calories burned, etc.

So again welcome! You can do this, it takes some time, but it is worth every step.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome! I agree totally with FrenchHen! Take measurements besides your weight. The only thing I would add is to take a picture of yourself (or a few). Do this monthly. You will see the changes for sure. Even when I am not actively losing weight my body is changing and redistributing the weight. You will never be so happy as to compare a before to an after picture!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

hi,
I am 51 and have been battling this weight loss for 22 years - since my son was born.
At it again - for the upteenth time
hope it works this time
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default You can do it!

Originally Posted by rose1544
hi,
I am 51 and have been battling this weight loss for 22 years - since my son was born.
At it again - for the upteenth time
hope it works this time

Welcome Rose!

Like we say: Hope helps, but drive does it.

Hop right in... the company here is fantastic
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Welcome! I agree totally with FrenchHen! Take measurements besides your weight. The only thing I would add is to take a picture of yourself (or a few). Do this monthly. You will see the changes for sure. Even when I am not actively losing weight my body is changing and redistributing the weight. You will never be so happy as to compare a before to an after picture!

Good one Wildbeanerz! I also took photos of me in my bathing suit, from the back! That way I can't say I don't like my face in that photo, or my hair looks weird. It's all truth from the back, no judgement. Once a month on just about the same day. I even still take the pictures in the same suit I was wearing on that first picture day... Hilarious! It's great motivation!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default 50 next year and slowly losing

Hi All
You all took the words right out of my mouth-I'm going to be 50 next year and sooooo don't want to be so overweight! I'm so glad I read all your posts. We can do it!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

I decided to make changes in my lifestyle and diet due to a number of reasons.

1. I am overweight and was in a new relationship and wanted to look better.
2. I am now 49 and don't want to be fat at 50.
3. I was diagnosed diabetic last year.
4. I have high blood pressure.

So my first step was to change my food plan and try to eat healthier and so far I have lost 31lb. As my wedding loomed I engaged a personal trainer to try and push me on (those 31lb have come off over 3 years which is not a great weight loss rate). My dress maker kept complaining that I was losing inches if not weight. During that time I was diagnosed diabetic so needed to be healthy long term to stay alive and enjoy my newly married status, as I passed out in the taxi coming home from the reception I was worried. Turns out my healthy lifestyle change was working too well and the blood pressure medication was taking my bp down too much.

Although I have my setbacks I decided to look at things long term (a must when your body refuses to lose weight no matter how good you've been) and that I can never fail while I continue to try, only by giving up can I fail.

So I have 49lb still to lose before I'm 50 in 248 days time(but I'll settle for 17 and carry on working at it). I have a mini goal of being at least 4lb lighter by the time I visit the in laws at Christmas.

I have had a bad July in terms of my plan, my scales packed up so I kind of went mad and ate way too much and am definately feeling it, the heat made me feel very lethargic and I ended up not going to the gym way too many times and had only 3 workouts a week instead of 5 and I'm feeling that too.

So now I'm back up and my plus size clothes dusted off ready to push on again.