Notices

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've always been skinny, but yesterday, I had a wake up call. My boyfriend pointed out to me that I had a lot more stretch marks on the backs of my thighs. I looked and my heart dropped. I had always had stretch marks ( mostly on my chest) but these were different to me. It symbolized that I wasn't the tiny girl I used to be. I took a long look at myself in the mirror. Six months ago, I had a flat stomach and muscular swimmers legs. I weighted 110 pounds then. I now weight 135. You may think that's not much, she's still small. But you have to realize, I've NEVER had a problem with my weight, I never gained too much and usually it was muscle from swimming. But six months ago, I gave up swimming to go back to school. after a few weeks, I moved in with my boyfriend. Now my boyfriend LOVES to eat, I mean that guy can put food away. He's blessed with a super high metabolism, and he never gains a single pound. He's actually LOST weight. He makes these crazy things like burritos covered in cheese and pulled beef sandwiches. I had grown so accustomed to my mom's semi healthy food that I never watched what I ate, I never had to because I'd burn it off in the pool.

What I'm getting at is that, I need to be on a diet. But I don't know what to do because I've never had to be on a diet.

I don't want some Jenny Craig suggestions, I'm a broke college student. I need something relativity cheap that is good food without being tasteless.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
FitDay Member

Here is what I do. I eat healthier (fresh fruits & veggies, lean meats, egg whites) most of the time. I plan my breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack and take them with me to work. Then for dinner I have whatever my family is having (my hubby cooks). If it is not healthy food, I eat less of it. Then I have something healthy (ish) for snack in the evening. I drink lots of water (100 oz per day) and walk on my lunch breaks almost every day of the 5 day work week. I try to workout 3-4 times per week at home with you tube videos (fitnessblender is a new favorite) or Jillian Micheals.

I guess what I am trying to say is there is no one diet plan that is going to work for everyone. I don't want to be on a 'diet'. I want to live and if I want to eat something that isn't good for me one time...I am going to. What I can't do is starve myself until I go crazy and eat everything in sight. What good would that do?

You have to find what works for you and stick with it. I hope you find your own plan too!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM
FitDay Member

+1 what April says.

Just make a conscious effort to watch what you eat. Like April, my diet consists of lots of fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, and nuts. I'm also eating more rice and starchy roots now (training for half-marathon). The point being, stick to foods that are natural and came straight from the earth.

Even if you're busy with schoolwork, you should try to find some time to at least get out and walk every day, or at least a few times a week. Shoot for a couple miles each time, it shouldn't take more than half an hour at a brisk pace. You can even record your lectures and take them with you on an mp3 player (if they're already podcasted, even better).

Good luck! And check back in every once in a while, we'd love to hear your progress
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I am going to repeat the above information...eat the foods they have suggested and walk 30 min everyday. I make a big pot of soup for the week and have that before dinner to fill up on and I have a small salad as well. Best of luck to you...this program works!