Notices

Things that totally suck about being overweight

Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
FitDay Member

Angry Things that totally suck about being overweight

Okay, so here I am again, overweight. Three years ago I actually did it... got down to size 4 (I'm a lady) and 145 pounds. Now I'm right back where I started, 208 pounds and size 14. So, although I am the same person inside, I have had such different experiences having been fat and thin, and I've learned that thin girls definitely have more fun, and I want to be thin again. So here are some little tidbits of info that are really getting under my skin about being overweight, and I thought I'd share them.
1. Getting dressed totally sucks for a fat girl. I used to pull ONE outfit out of my closet when I was thin. It looked great. I was ready to go. Nowadays, I've got half the closet pulled onto the bed before I finally just settle on an outfit that feels good. Then, I try not to look into any mirrors as I go about my day.
2. Men treat me totally different than they did when I was thin. They held doors for me. They joked around with me. Do I want guys hitting on me? NO WAY! I'd just like it if when I walked into AutoZone, the guy behind the counter would look up from his copy of PlayBoy and wait on me. That would be nice. I'd like to be treated like a normal person, not some disgusting blob who has let herself go. Men are naturally shallow and their standards are high, and no, I don't want to go through life being unattractive to them. People may say that's not right and I should be doing this for myself. But think about it, and you'll see what I mean, ok?
3. My house is a mess right now. When I was thin, I kept my house in order. I felt good enough to do it. When I'm completing a project at home, I rarely feel hungry. Funny how a clean house and a "clean" body go hand in hand.
4. My kids and I had fun when I was thin. We ran together. We went out and did things outside. Now the poor kids are subject to sit in the house because overweight Mommy doesn't feel like doing anything. That's not fair. And now my older son is starting to put on pounds as well which is not good for him at all.
5. Photos. I could have screamed when I saw myself in my sister's wedding photos a week ago. And of course all those photos went on facebook, for everyone to see. So they see the fat I was trying to hide by only posting pics that were flattering and didn't show my double chin were hoaxes. I feel a lot like a big, fat version of Pinnochio right now. It's very embarrassing. My husband wants to get photos done at Christmas. We need to, but if I see anymore fat photos of me, I'm going to die.
When you're overweight, life is a struggle. The only thing some people see is my fat. So I have to get rid of it and get my life back. I'm hoping this site helps me. I am ready to feel good again, and be the person I feel like inside.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM
FitDay Member

I totally get You.
Apart from looking bad...

What was humiliating for me is that I had to ask my boyfriend to tie my shoes for me, because I couldn't bend.

And clothing... having nothing to wear for work, and my stomach slipping out when getting out of car or sitting.... uhhhh

And You're right about home - everything was dirty because I had no strength to clean floor or to bend behind furniture. I only did dishes and some easy stuff...
Disgusting!

I decided to do something because all of this, and now I feel better, happier, stronger, faster, bendy ... I can tie my shoes without sitting.
I only hope I'll keep this weight for good.

My good looking female colleague told once:
''Taking care of your weight is pure hygiene. If You take care of your clothes, take shower every day, wash hands, hair, putting makeup, taking care of your outside - why not taking care of what you put inside your body?''
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Never thought of the hygeine thing, but you're absolutely right. No wonder people are turned off by fatness! Thanks for replying!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Kliker17
I totally get You.

My good looking female colleague told once:
''Taking care of your weight is pure hygiene. If You take care of your clothes, take shower every day, wash hands, hair, putting makeup, taking care of your outside - why not taking care of what you put inside your body?''
I really like that! I hadn't really though of it that way either.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Things that totally suck about being overweight:

Going clothes shopping and NOTHING fits (being short doesn't help either LOL). If it's big enough to go around the 'girls' it's too long in the arms or too big in the shoulders, or won't go around my fat a$$... you know what I mean!

What a difference 8 pounds makes, though, I went thrift store shopping couple weeks ago and got 5 tops and a pair of capris that all fit well (and a pair of shoes, all for $38!!!) AND they were a size smaller than I had been wearing. THAT's what I'm talking about!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

Default Understanding.

Originally Posted by differentinside
Okay, so here I am again, overweight. Three years ago I actually did it... got down to size 4 (I'm a lady) and 145 pounds. Now I'm right back where I started, 208 pounds and size 14. So, although I am the same person inside, I have had such different experiences having been fat and thin, and I've learned that thin girls definitely have more fun, and I want to be thin again. So here are some little tidbits of info that are really getting under my skin about being overweight, and I thought I'd share them.

1. Getting dressed totally sucks for a fat girl. I used to pull ONE outfit out of my closet when I was thin. It looked great. I was ready to go. Nowadays, I've got half the closet pulled onto the bed before I finally just settle on an outfit that feels good. Then, I try not to look into any mirrors as I go about my day.

2. Men treat me totally different than they did when I was thin. They held doors for me. They joked around with me. Do I want guys hitting on me? NO WAY! I'd just like it if when I walked into AutoZone, the guy behind the counter would look up from his copy of PlayBoy and wait on me. That would be nice. I'd like to be treated like a normal person, not some disgusting blob who has let herself go. Men are naturally shallow and their standards are high, and no, I don't want to go through life being unattractive to them. People may say that's not right and I should be doing this for myself. But think about it, and you'll see what I mean, ok?

3. My house is a mess right now. When I was thin, I kept my house in order. I felt good enough to do it. When I'm completing a project at home, I rarely feel hungry. Funny how a clean house and a "clean" body go hand in hand.

4. My kids and I had fun when I was thin. We ran together. We went out and did things outside. Now the poor kids are subject to sit in the house because overweight Mommy doesn't feel like doing anything. That's not fair. And now my older son is starting to put on pounds as well which is not good for him at all.

5. Photos. I could have screamed when I saw myself in my sister's wedding photos a week ago. And of course all those photos went on facebook, for everyone to see. So they see the fat I was trying to hide by only posting pics that were flattering and didn't show my double chin were hoaxes. I feel a lot like a big, fat version of Pinnochio right now. It's very embarrassing. My husband wants to get photos done at Christmas. We need to, but if I see anymore fat photos of me, I'm going to die.

When you're overweight, life is a struggle. The only thing some people see is my fat. So I have to get rid of it and get my life back. I'm hoping this site helps me. I am ready to feel good again, and be the person I feel like inside.
I thought I might give you a male perspective on your post.

1. This also happens to men. I recently went back and collected all my old bicycling jersys. Now if you don't know about bicycling clothes, they are generally skin tight and if you have a great body you can look amazing in them. I can't fit them anymore. Some of my dress clothes, nope, don't fit either. Here I am still wearing fat clothes and while I have lost some weight, I am not even one size down yet. I know it will take a long time. Men are vain.

2. You are being treated like a normal person. Believe me, men do not have high standards. I could and should write a book about how men respond to women. I work in a public environment which allows me to see what happens to every male when a great looking woman walks in. It is not the same as when an average woman walks in, and if you think men are judging you about how fat you are, think again. Men like women in all sizes. I know women feel better about themselves when they feel more attractive to the opposite sex, but then again so do men. I do not think I will ever be anyone's idea of a handsome guy, but I know I can do better. What both sexes find truly attractive is confidence and we should have that regardless of size.

3. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. I get upset when I do not have a clean home. I do it myself. I think that if you commit to getting your home in shape, you will find that you have more resolve to losing the weight. Accomplishments matter so get going on it.

4. I understand but your kids do come first. You must be a role model and example to them. I know it is hard. I raised two kids too. Most of the time I was fat and if I could, I would have done it for them. My mistake.

5. I hate photos in general, but especially when I am like this. In the film "The Matrix", they introduce the concept of "residual self image", that is we see ourselves as being in a fixed stage in our lives. I see myself thinner, younger and certainly with more hair. Every time I see myself in a photo or video, I am shocked. I think I should focus on the event being celebrated and the fact that I am there, not on how I look. Tough to do though.

I think you are probably much harder on yourself than others. I suspect you have a loving family and great friends who don't define you by your dress size.
Go ahead and lose weight. You will feel healthier and psychologically better, but always remember you are not what you weigh. You are a whole person with emotions and experiences and an enormous amount of love to give.

That is the real you.

Joe
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by differentinside
Thank you very much for this message. I don't think I've ever really thought about it - but bullet point 3 it is completely true (for me at least). When I allow my weight to escalate, stop focusing on it, I tend to lose focus in other areas of life as well.

I think whatever caused me to stop focusing on my weight goals is also the cause of me losing focus in other areas, as opposed to weight gain being the direct cause. That being said, its important to have a daily reminder of goals and expectations if your're prone to to letting all your balls drop at once.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hang in there, time is an enemy to us all. Getting fit definitely takes a lot of hard work and effort, but little improvements are the reward.This is where religious tracking of your numbers and fitday comes in handy. The scale is a horrible measure, but I still try to step on it once a week just to check. If you can get a local buddy to help you take some body measurements with a tape measure once every few weeks, that may help as well. I look forward to you sharing your progress and getting back to the point where you can be happy with yourself.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by Borg-mx5
I thought I might give you a male perspective on your post.

1. This also happens to men. I recently went back and collected all my old bicycling jersys. Now if you don't know about bicycling clothes, they are generally skin tight and if you have a great body you can look amazing in them. I can't fit them anymore. Some of my dress clothes, nope, don't fit either. Here I am still wearing fat clothes and while I have lost some weight, I am not even one size down yet. I know it will take a long time. Men are vain.

2. You are being treated like a normal person. Believe me, men do not have high standards. I could and should write a book about how men respond to women. I work in a public environment which allows me to see what happens to every male when a great looking woman walks in. It is not the same as when an average woman walks in, and if you think men are judging you about how fat you are, think again. Men like women in all sizes. I know women feel better about themselves when they feel more attractive to the opposite sex, but then again so do men. I do not think I will ever be anyone's idea of a handsome guy, but I know I can do better. What both sexes find truly attractive is confidence and we should have that regardless of size.

3. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. I get upset when I do not have a clean home. I do it myself. I think that if you commit to getting your home in shape, you will find that you have more resolve to losing the weight. Accomplishments matter so get going on it.

4. I understand but your kids do come first. You must be a role model and example to them. I know it is hard. I raised two kids too. Most of the time I was fat and if I could, I would have done it for them. My mistake.

5. I hate photos in general, but especially when I am like this. In the film "The Matrix", they introduce the concept of "residual self image", that is we see ourselves as being in a fixed stage in our lives. I see myself thinner, younger and certainly with more hair. Every time I see myself in a photo or video, I am shocked. I think I should focus on the event being celebrated and the fact that I am there, not on how I look. Tough to do though.

I think you are probably much harder on yourself than others. I suspect you have a loving family and great friends who don't define you by your dress size.
Go ahead and lose weight. You will feel healthier and psychologically better, but always remember you are not what you weigh. You are a whole person with emotions and experiences and an enormous amount of love to give.

That is the real you.

Joe
Thank you so much for your response, Joe. Proving that not all men are jerks. I've been searching on the internet to find out what is and isn't attractive to men, and the first thing anyone says is "overweight gals need not apply!" It's like they have no hearts. They could be really missing out on something very beautiful because they only want a "cookie cutter" gal. I'm not looking for anyone, obviously, but just doing some research. I never attracted many guys that would admit it, but I never thought of myself as unattractive. My face has always been nice to look at, but maybe it's the confidence thing. Never did have much of that. Your last paragraph made my day. Just wanted to say thank you!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

Speaking of tracking fitness... Does anyone know if there is a faster way to record my food? I put one thing in and it takes like two minutes to record it, so it takes forever to record everything. Can I just put everything in at once? Ditto with daily activity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.