View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
asantesoul
FitDay Member

Protein does not increase your metabolic rate (metabolism). It only contributes to a higher TEF(Thermic effect of feeding/food). Increased protein won't lead to a smaller waist line. In fact, any additional protein above your body's needs will simply be converted to glucose, or be converted to fat (assuming you are eating more than your body's maintenance calories)

My advice to anyone trying to reduce FAT is to:

-Calculate or determine your body's metabolic rate (and perhaps daily energy expenditure) and eat at a deficit. So, if your basal metabolic rate (maintenance) is 2000 calories, reduce this amount by %10, or %20 percent (20% deficit = 400 calories = 1600 calories to eat everyday)

-Determine a sufficient quantity of macronutrient per mass that you should consume... If you are trying to lose fat predominantly, for instance, consume more foods higher in fat (mono/poly & some sat.), moderate protein, and reduce carbohydrates.

-Increase your energy expenditure by incorporating resistance training into your routine. The process of lifting weights, or engaging in resistance exercises greatly increase your energy expenditure and helps preserve lean mass during a calorie restriction

-reducing carbs doesn't have to be daunting...get on google and start looking for ways to modify carb heavy meals to make it more appropriate. For example, you dont need to reduce pasta's! I love pasta for my tuna pasta salads...instead use a product such as, "dreamfields" pasta.. its 41 grams of carbs, but only 5 are digestible while the opther 36 grams of carbs are indigestible cellulose fiber (laymans; there is only 5 grams of carbohydrates your body will absorb, the other 36 doesnt get absorbed)... by making this easy swap you can enjou pasta's to your heart's content! It is low glycemic, and tastes great!

-avoid eating excessive amounts of high glycemic fruits (bananas/watermelons) when you don't need to...or, at the very least, eat it with something high in fat (almonds) to reduce the spike in insulin some high glycemic fruits have on insulin.

-if possible, try and reduce the amount of meals you eat a day (if possible!) Meal frequency is not of absolute importance, but everytime you ingest food, insulin decreases fat from being oxidized (fat burning stops). When in the fasted state, you allow your body to burn fat as fuel (don't worry, contrary to popular belief, you will not slow your metabolism or put on fat if you go 2-4 hrs without eating, that is a fact!)

-Of course, we all know it, sleep! It's important to get adequate rest to allow for muscle growth, fat oxidation, cellular repair, etc.

There are a ton of other things but, I will wait for feedback or questions. Good luck to everybody on their unique goals!
asantesoul is offline   Reply With Quote