Notices

Gaining weight

Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default Gaining weight

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and new to dieting.
i am currently 155lbs and im looking to increase my weight by eating right and working out.

i know their are alot of weightloss diets out their but can someone point me in the right direction for gaining weight?
i appreaciate the help,
-Skrats
Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Adelaide5
Drink the best weight loss supplement known to man, water. Most people do not know the difference from being hungry for food or thirsty for water. A great deal of times people eat when they should drink.

This makes no sense....the OP wants to gain weight.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

Lift heavy (meaning the 4-6 repitition range to failure). Get enough protein to build those muscles. (I assume you want to add muscle not fat.) That means .75 to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight. Indulge in foods that are relatively high in naturally occuring Saturated Fats. Red meat, whole milk or cottage cheese come to mind. Saturated fats have been shown to boost testosterone levels in men. This will help you build muscle. Check out Bodybuilding.com. They have lots of information and members with experience gaining weight and muscle.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
FitDay Member

Dear you should change your eating plan for gaining weight.Eat much as you can.Consume maximum protein.Use milk,meat,eggs,fish,cheese etc in your diet.
These are good for gaining weight.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 AM
FitDay Member

To gain lean mass you only need to go over a few hundred calories per day, or if you're cycling, maybe 1200-1600 per week, since muscle is denser than fat. (coming off we know its about 3500 per lb of fat)

If you're serious about keeping track and gaining as efficiently as possible (i.e. without getting fat at the same time) check out

Lifting for strength (4-5 rep) builds size but lifting for pump (8-12) has been known to work even better. I like to rotate these, which also gives your body the "shock stimulus".

Note, everyone is different, but as beginners, some people can gain upwards of 20 [lean] pounds or more in their first year, provided they have dedication and good nutrition, but returns diminish and after a few years you might be lucky to gain [lean] 5.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-23-2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: removed link