Notices

New to Fitday,Did my 1st 5k

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default New to Fitday,Did my 1st 5k

7/21/12- I did my first 5k run, it took me 46mins and 50secs, but I finished it and took 3mins and 21secs off my personal best time. I had only trained for one month and not hard at that,but I think I am bitten by the race bug. So I have decided to take training more seriously and sign up for another race.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations and welcome! I did my first 5K last spring and on July 8th of this year I ran my first marathon! If you are bitten by the running bug, there is no limit to where you can go with it. Good Luck on your journey!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default thanks

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Cool & Congrats on your first of many races!
I started running 5k's couple years ago, got bitten by the bug and now I'm doing 10k's and have done one 1/2 marathon so far this year and I plan on doing a my 1st Marathon in December.
It's a good addiction to have..
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
FitDay Member

your times make mine look awful, but i have to start somwhere. Im going to try another 5k in October. I would like to get below 42mins. That would be 4mins and 50sec off my time.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by movefaster
your times make mine look awful, but i have to start somwhere. Im going to try another 5k in October. I would like to get below 42mins. That would be 4mins and 50sec off my time.
but, your times are so much better than the times of all the people who didn't cross the start line! I did my second 5K last week, and is hard to stop talking about it - hoping to do one on Labor day, and get a minute off my time.

Abby
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

Your right, I never thought of it like that. Thank you
Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by movefaster
Whoa...don't worry about other people, just concentrate on yourself -speed will come with time, I think I ran my first 5k in 47 min.
It's taken me 3 years to get to this point, when I first started, I absolutely hated running and could barely run 1/2 block before feeling out of breathe and everything was hurting.
However,I've taken the last 2 months off from running (I've had a couple of injuries and needed to focus on other things) so I'm guessing my times would really be off from what they were. There's a few more races coming up in the next month, so I guess I'll see how "off" I am..
Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

I'm sure you will do fine. I went to a running store today, I had my feet measured, they had me walk in the store barefoot and jog in the store. Then they pointed out some shoes that would help me. I had never none that before, I just went and bought a pair of shoes at Kolhs. They told me I was flatfooted, didn't know that. I told them the problems I was having with aches and pains, and hopefully these shoes will help. we will find out tomorrow, when I do steps.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM
FitDay Member

You are on the right track! It is great having a running store that you can go to. I had one in my old town and loved it when they fitted me for shoes. I usually wear a size 8.5 and they sold me a size 10!! I never would have thought that my feet would need that much room but the shoes have worked wonders.

Don't expect all of your aches/pains to go away tomorrow when you wear the new shoes. Your body needs to adapt to them a little. Give them a couple of tries before you make a decision about them.

Oh, and your race times are fantastic. Try not to compare your times to other people (I know, it is hard...I still do it too). Compare your times and how you feel at the end of the race to how you did last time on a similar distance. My finish times haven't changed all that much but I now feel energized and bouncy when I finish a 5K, as compared to the huffing/puffing/dying version of myself that used to be bending over at the finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.