Notices

New to FitDay.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default New to FitDay.

Hi everyone! im not sure how many calories im supose to be able to eat a day. can anyone help? i'm 181 now. my goal is to be at 140 in 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Your goal is to lose 40lbs in 3-4 weeks?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by alleysgurl
Your goal is to lose 40lbs in 3-4 weeks?
No, im sorry. my goal is to lose 40lbs all together. What i meant was i want to lose 20lbs in 3 to 4 weeks. im just not sure how many calories a day im aloud to have.. i want to lose at least a pound a day i was wondering how many calories i need to consume a day to lose a pound a day. on the food log - after i log in the calories i have already taken in how do i know how many more i can have that day?
sorry for the confusion. and thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome dip1! Fitday is a wonderful tool.

Please be careful!!! Common recommendation is to lose 1-2 pounds per week for a variety of reasons.

I use the link that you see on the bottom of my signature to figure out my nutritional & activity goals. It's a great treasury of reading as well as further links!

In practical terms, I eat according to food groups & servings which I divide according to meals/snacks. Logging in confirms when I'm on track & quickly shows the error of my ways. I basically do mental math as to Caloric count when I log in. I round my numbers alot to do quick math. I find that the more practice I have logging in, the quicker & more accurate I become.

I hope this post helps you.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thank You fit4luv! On dashboard- at the end of food, activity, weight..etc.. where it has a scale. its called net.cal. does that show the calories a person can have a day? sorry if i sound confusing. thank you so much for your help.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dip1
Thank You fit4luv! On dashboard- at the end of food, activity, weight..etc.. where it has a scale. its called net.cal. does that show the calories a person can have a day? sorry if i sound confusing. thank you so much for your help.
If you set a Weight Goal Fitday will do the calculations for you. On the Weight Goal tab, then the Cal. Balance tab from the box below. This shows you how many calories you burn daily (without exercise), what your calorie restriction needs to be to hit your goal, and how many you can eat. If you exercise you can add the calories burned to the calculation.

20 pounds in 4 weeks (5 pounds/week) is a steep climb for someone your size. Make sure you remain healthy in the process.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks rpmcduff for answering my question!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default new to Fitday...

I just signed in, put my height, weight, and goal. It came up with me eating only 599 calories a day....thats insane !!! That is sarvation mode.
My calories reduction was 1700. I don't do any exercise, but I am on my feet all day for my job.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vjhays
I just signed in, put my height, weight, and goal. It came up with me eating only 599 calories a day....thats insane !!! That is sarvation mode.
My calories reduction was 1700. I don't do any exercise, but I am on my feet all day for my job.
If you don't have those numbers mixed up, it sounds like you either entered something wrong or set too lofty a goal in too short a time period. FitDay calculates your daily calories from your daily burn rate (determined, in part, by current weight and height and activity level), the difference between your current weight and goal weight, and how long you are giving yourself to do it.

Check the accuracy of what you entered. If that's all correct, push your goal date out a few weeks and see if that changes your calories.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calories

Hi, I'm new too, so I'm no expert, but I have an app on my phone called "Lose it" that might help. You put in your info and goal and it calculates how many calories you need to reach your goal. When you add in exercise your calorie alottment is adjusted. You can count just calories or nutrients too. It is helpful in being more conscious of what you are eating Just a suggestion. Although there is probably something similar on this site. Good luck.

Last edited by cds50; 08-03-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling error