Notices

help me pick an exercise class!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default help me pick an exercise class!

I have decided I need to add some more structured exercise in to this journey. I checked out the boards at the little gym we have in our town. I have tried just training in the gym and I find myself feeling completely lost, I think I would do better in a class. Here is what is available when I have time:
  • zumba
  • step aerobics
  • Boot camp 1 hour
  • yogalates (cross between yoga and pilates)
  • strength for health core and cardio (aimed mainly at older people but everyone welcome)

I can probably only afford 1 class a week for now. I'm curious about boot camp but I'm scared that I will end up in a room full of people who are much fitter than me.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nichaleh
I have decided I need to add some more structured exercise in to this journey. I checked out the boards at the little gym we have in our town. I have tried just training in the gym and I find myself feeling completely lost, I think I would do better in a class. Here is what is available when I have time:
  • zumba
  • step aerobics
  • Boot camp 1 hour
  • yogalates (cross between yoga and pilates)
  • strength for health core and cardio (aimed mainly at older people but everyone welcome)

I can probably only afford 1 class a week for now. I'm curious about boot camp but I'm scared that I will end up in a room full of people who are much fitter than me.
Why don't you talk to the boot camp instructor, and voice that concern? My guess is that you will get an answer something like this "I try to make my class welcoming for everyone, I can help you modify movements to your fitness level. Class should challenge you, but not force you out, would you like to observe once before you sign up?" (anyway, that's what I hope I would say if I were an instructor). If it really is meant to be an advanced class, he or she will tell you so.

That voice telling you that all the fitter people don't want you around is lying - many of those athletic gods and goddesses weren't always that way, and love to see someone working to improve. The people I find most inspirational in the gym are the ones a the beginning of their journeys, I always hope I keep seeing them.

Good luck, tell us what you decide.

Abby
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hi nichaleh,
I think it's great that you're looking into workout classes as they are a great way to get an effective workout, particularly if you are relatively new to exercise and need to gain experience on how to structure a workout of your own. They are also great for motivation as being in a class with others means you are likely to be more focused and 'present' and get the most out of your time.
If boot camp appeals to you then go for it! The key to stay motivated is finding something that you enjoy. I'm certain you will find that the class is attended by people of all shapes, sizes and ages so you needn't feel intimidated. In fact you are likely to find others will be supportive and encouraging; you're all in the same boat after all. Even if you do feel out of place at first, you will soon settle in and believe me, everyone there is far too focused on what they are doing to be worrying about whether you look a little out of breath. Just go at your own pace and forget what those around you are doing. It's no competition.
Also, got to give a shout out for zumba... I have tried every kind of workout class you can think of (I'm a PT) and zumba will always be my FAVOURITE. The most fun I have ever had working out
Good luck!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey there,
I totally get the lack of motivation from a non-structured gym experience. I have joined gyms many times over the years only to drop the membership because of lack of inspiration. It is one of the reasons why I am such a CrossFit nut - it is basically total bootcamp gym. You go there, do what they tell you to do, and crawl home

I guess my response depends somewhat on what your goals are. But if the bootcamp strikes a chord, I am totally with Abby on this. Check with the instructor (or someone in the management team) to make sure of the intended fitness level; I'm guessing it is intended for all fitness levels, too. Then jump in. If you don't like it I bet you can change classes later.

Although I have never done Zumba, I did really enjoy a jazzercise-type class many years ago. It was a fun way to burn some calories. But if you really want to get in shape quickly, I am betting the bootcamp is just what you are looking for.

And, yes there will probably be folks fitter than you, but they all started somewhere, ya know? and most will be super supportive of your progress.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default thanks!

Thank-you everyone..
I am going to give the boot camp a go. I am trying to find someone to come with me but no-one is keen! lol. Guess I will just have to make some new work out friends in class. Thanks for encouraging me, I need to take the plunge and try something new. I can be a bit shy in new situations so sometimes I need a little push.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 AM
FitDay Member

You will make friends in class - I have a good set of gym friends now.

Abby
Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by nichaleh
Thank-you everyone..
I am going to give the boot camp a go. I am trying to find someone to come with me but no-one is keen! lol. Guess I will just have to make some new work out friends in class. Thanks for encouraging me, I need to take the plunge and try something new. I can be a bit shy in new situations so sometimes I need a little push.
Concider yourself pushed . Like Abby some of my favorite friends I met in exercise classes - you know you always have at least one thing in common
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM
FitDay Member

SO!
Wednesday at 6pm I am attending my first boot-camp class! I am more than a bit excited. The PT running it has a bit of a reputation for pushing you to your best, which I think I probably need. I have a friend who wants to come along, though she is unsure if it will be for her or not. I am going shopping wednesday for a new pair of shoes and a pair of track pants, it's a little gift to myself to help me get motivated, and I need new pants because all of them are getting too big! YAY.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

We'll be rooting for you! My boot camp class is Wednesday AM, so WEdnesday is apparently a good day!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

I went! It was pretty hard work but at the same time I felt amazing when I finished. what a high! I worked so hard that I literally couldn't lift myself off the floor a few times, I am hurting but happy about it. I will be going back next week. The class was very small and most members were a similar weight to me. None of us looked very fit so I didn't feel out of place. the instructor is really supportive even though she is tough and won't let anyone slack off! lol.
I have a recurring problem with my hips which means I can't do exercises that involve swinging my leg out to the side, I talked to her about it and she offered alternatives that I could do. So... ow ow ow but YAY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.