View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
RunbikeSki
FitDay Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichaleh View Post
I was told by a physio that the core muscles that support the pelvis and hold your stomach in have 'switched off' after having my daughter and never turned back on?
Any advice on exercises to target these areas please?
Huh? Unless you really damaged those core muscle, they are still very much with you. You may just have to work a little harder. Most likely a part of your "problem area" as they like to say, is stretch skin. And that will take a while to recover, but at your age that should happen.

Two suggestions - as you probably know "spot reducing" for fat reduction doesn't really work. While strengthening your core is really, really important for lots of things, aerobic exercise is the key to shedding the layer of fat hiding those core muscles. Walking, running, biking, rumba, step classes, anything that gets your heart rate up for 30 minutes or so (the longer the better - but don't push it if you aren't used to it) will really help you trim down all over - including your tummy.

The second thing is a skin lotion, or some sort of topic lotion that will nourish your skin, to help it regain the elastin. Don't get me wrong, it won't help you lose weight, but it will help the texture and appearance your tummy.

At 55 (almost), I am post menapausal, and skin tone/loss of elastin is one of the problems with weight loss in older women. I have a pretty trim little body these days, but I ain't wearing no bikini any time soon! The tummy may be flat, but the skin hasn't figured that out yet!

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote