Notices

Closet eater..help!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Closet eater..help!

I have a issue with closet eating...and I fear that I do it because I have some sort of control over it (although lack of is truthfully more appropriate). Whenever I'm stressed...I eat. Upset..I eat. I'm not extremely overweight..just need to get over this issue before it becomes a real problem. Anyone want to be my weight-control/loss buddy? I feel like I need the help.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

hi annamarie,
sometimes it helps when I think of the quote: "whatever you eat in private, shows up in public."

really try to stop and think and realize that you are eating bc you are stressed/angry/bored/happy/whatever emotion and instead take a second and choose to do something else--like make a cup of tea, or write in a journal, walk outside, or pick up knitting! anything something to keep your hands busy and out of the kitchen cupboard

i know it's hard. good luck!

i'm interested in other responses, so I hope to see more feedback!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

oops, sorry i spelled your name wrong.. i was writing too quickly.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Adding to the good advice above, it sounds like you have identified that your eating is emotional. I would really hammer home journaling on that...time, food, mood, circumstances before you eat, and how you feel after. The first step would be to chart everything; the next step is to make substitutions for eating.

Eating is a coping skill for a lot of people. It's not a great one, but it's better than some (say, illegal drugs). Once you know your triggers, you are ahead of the game.

You also mentioned control, which is another biggie; eating (or refusing to eat) is also a control issue for some. You might take a look at whether or not you are feeling out of control over some other areas in your life and see if making some adjustments there could reduce the urge to do so with food.

Finally, closet eating sounds secretive. Do you have a history of getting negative messages about food or your eating? If that's there, it's also something to explore.

I realize that this is more than the answer to your question about having a food buddy; sorry! Just getting some thoughts out there, which as with any advice here you are free to take or leave. If history is any predictor, there will be several folks who would volunteer to buddy up with you.

Good luck, and good job recognizing that you want to get a handle on this now .
Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AlyssMarie
I have a issue with closet eating...and I fear that I do it because I have some sort of control over it (although lack of is truthfully more appropriate). Whenever I'm stressed...I eat. Upset..I eat. I'm not extremely overweight..just need to get over this issue before it becomes a real problem. Anyone want to be my weight-control/loss buddy? I feel like I need the help.

Thanks!
can totally understand you. I have great control and not even think about food until about 3pm. I usually work out at lunch and after about 3 pm, it slowly drifts out of control. I'm 10lbs over my ideal weight--I would like to weigh 120lbs. I don't really eat with people--not a lot but I eat a lot alone and mostly on-the-go. Grab a handful of chips/candy etc while I'm doing something else. Afterwards I feel terriable and mad with myself. You should just decide on one thing at a time. I don't buy chocolate at all. Sometimes, I pick it up-look at it-and put it back.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

I'm an emotional eater as well. I quit smoking in January and moved to food (you know, the whole oral fixation thingy) and I found that when you are angry to eat something that you really have to chew. Like, those protein bars that are pretty tough. That way you expend some energy through the tension in your jaw and you may feel more relaxed afterwards! I know it's sounds crazy, but give it a shot :-).

Also, another thing that helped me through the emotional eating/cross addiction was to actually ask outloud "Am I hungry or am I bored/sad/angry/etc.?" That way you hold yourself accountable for your eating and give yourself a chance to change your behavior.

You can do it.