View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
catebert
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYNAN68 View Post
Could anyone suggest what these ratios should be for myself--I am 68 and have about 85 pounds to lose--cannot seem to find any info on this on this site--Thanks--Nancy
Hi Nancy, I think you will just have to work that out for yourself as everyone is different and therefore the ratios are dependent on what works for YOU.

Some people can lose on low-calorie plans, others on low-fat plans, but for myself, I am doing Atkins (Low-carb) because I am diabetic and needed to lower my blood sugar drastically and quickly or I would have to go on insulin injections. I'm happy to say after about 24 hours low-carb my blood sugar stabilized at near-normal levels and that is no longer an issue.

My ratios are about 65% fat, 23% protein and 12% carbs. I have lost 7 lbs. so far on this ratio and I am now working on trying to lower the fat content a little and would like to boost the protein up to about 30% while keeping the carbs at 12% or lower. I do not eat sugar of any kind, bread, wheat, oats, pasta, white rice, potatoes, or any other starches, all my carbs come from veggies, and only recently I have added back a little yogurt and some (few) berries now and then. I have to really watch my carbs because if I go much over 30 grams/day I will stop losing or even gain.

I think there are a couple of other threads discussing the carb/protein/fat ratio, but I'm sorry I don't know how to link to them. Hope this helps.

Joined 25/5/2012
Height: 5' 0"
Starting weight: 170
Goal Weight: 115
Plan: Atkins

Mini goal: 159 by August 31
currently: 161

Eat five different coloured vegetables every day!
catebert is offline   Reply With Quote