View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
JaimeMWS
FitDay Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystars View Post
Calories still count no matter what the composition of those calories are. If you're eating more calories than you burn on a "low carb" diet then you'll still gain weight, but I can see how a "low carb" diet might work for some people to end up eating fewer calories.

My suggestion is that if you feel that your current work schedule is really harming your health then you may have to try to seek a work environment that leaves you some free time. Even if you were at your ideal weight, you might not be cardiovascularly healthy not being able to move around any more than that.
Recent research shows that the composition of calories does make a difference - see studies reported in Science News Daily. When I was following a high-carb low-calorie diet I lost only if I restricted calories to about 1200 a day and exercised twice a day. With a low-carb diet I lost 40 lbs, and kept it off for 5 years, without counting calories and with little exercise. Now I am post-menopausal I am tracking calories as well as carbs, protein, and fiber, and find that I lose at about 1500 calories a day with the carbs from low-glycemic, high-fiber, sources. That is fewer calories than I burn, but not as great a difference as I seemed to require on the low-fat (high carb) diet that is the standard recommendation by doctors and nutritionists.
JaimeMWS is offline   Reply With Quote