Notices

I've lost 96 pounds so far thanks to FitDay.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

Talking I've lost 110 pounds so far thanks to FitDay.

I've been overweight almost all of my life. My parents were overweight. I ate what they ate. I learned their poor habits and led the same sedentary life they did.

I would "try" to lose weight in the past, but I didn't take the time to learn what I was doing. I would just buy food that was labeled "low fat" and think I was doing good. Even that wouldn't last long.

This past May, my weight had finally got to the point where it was affecting me in a noticeable physical way. I weighed a whopping 335 pounds. I had been dealing with heartburn for about 2 years. I had felt chest pains (that I ignored like an idiot) a few times. When I walked, I often had a burning pain in my calves with each step I took. It was horrible.

After all of that, I finally had the motivation needed to do something serious about my health. I did a lot of reading online and started to eat a bit better starting in the middle of May. By June, I had discovered FitDay via a blog post I found through a Google search. Since the beginning of June, I have tracked my food and exercise with FitDay every single day.

FitDay helped me to see just how bad my eating habits where. I learned that meals I once considered to be "healthy" were actually loaded with calories. By just changing my eating habits and setting up a calorie restriction, my weight started dropping.

Now it's March 2010. I've been eating healthy for over nine months now. I've gone from 335 pounds in May '09 to 225 pounds today. I haven't had heartburn since I dipped below 300 pounds. No more chest pains. My legs? Well I started running in January, and now I go out for 5-6 mile runs almost every other day. Looking forward to my first 5k race next month.

In case anyone is curious what I eat... I use the PC version of FitDay and I haven't signed up for a premium account so I can't share my logs directly. I do share my foods on my blog, though. I added the link in my signature. I started following the TNT Diet about six weeks ago, and it helped me to break a two month weight loss plateau.

I still have more to lose, but I'm healthier and happier than I've been in years. Thanks FitDay.

Last edited by mfagerstrom; 03-26-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Picture edit.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Excellent!

What I like is that this is a habit, a decision to eat healthy, and not a "diet". Great job on the positive life change!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM
FitDay Member

That distinction is huge. If you go back to the way you used to eat, you'll just gain the weight back. I was heavy for a reason... I ate poorly and didn't exercise.

To be honest, after eating healthy for seven months, it's automatic now. I love what I eat, I don't feel like I'm being deprived.

Last edited by mfagerstrom; 01-16-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for posting your weight loss journey, and congratulations on your success! I hate lookng at pics of myself right now, and I almost cry when I see pictures of myself as I used to be and hopefully will be again, slim, fit and healthy!

I started out by telling myself that I am not on a diet, as in the past the word 'diet' was in itself an enticement to cheat ( I am a natural rebel lol)...Instead I am changing the way I think about food, eating for the right reasons, and planning my meals in advance so that I know exactly what will be going in my mouth each and every day.

I am so happy for you and all of the other success stories here; you don't know just how motivational and inspirational you all are. I hope in six months time I will be posting a similar success story!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

You look great! Thanks for posting the pictures and keep up the good work. I know what you mean about the healthy eating. Just to see someone eating a big greasy hamburger and fries almost puts my body into shock. I honestly don't know how my body would react if I ate something like that now. Believe me, I still get cravings but I know what it will do to me to eat that stuff and how hard I have worked to get the weight off. I haven't given in yet and it has been a little over a year so hopefully my lifestyle change will "stick" now

Congrats on the running. I recently started jogging on the treadmill. That was a big milestone for me. When I look back to when I started, I was doing good just to be walking on the treadmill! I can't jog for long periods of time but I do what I can. I am a nasty smoker and my endurance is just about ZERO for running so I switch off from walking to jogging for a bit and then back to walking.

Gallusgal- I know what you mean about the pictures. I am absolutely disgusted when I see a picture of myself a year ago. How did I let myself get to that point? My mother in law said something to me awhile back that I didn't quite know how to take. We had all gone on a cruise a couple of years ago and she had found some pictures of it. She told me- I found some pictures of you on the cruise and the next time you feel like eating, I am going to show them to you. What the heck was that supposed to mean? I just looked at her. Whether she was trying to be hurtful or not, she did hurt my feelings. She also keeps telling me that she had better get on the ball and start losing weight so I don't get "skinny than her". Do you think she may have some jealousy issues?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by showmenow
You look great! Thanks for posting the pictures and keep up the good work. I know what you mean about the healthy eating. Just to see someone eating a big greasy hamburger and fries almost puts my body into shock. I honestly don't know how my body would react if I ate something like that now. Believe me, I still get cravings but I know what it will do to me to eat that stuff and how hard I have worked to get the weight off. I haven't given in yet and it has been a little over a year so hopefully my lifestyle change will "stick" now

Congrats on the running. I recently started jogging on the treadmill. That was a big milestone for me. When I look back to when I started, I was doing good just to be walking on the treadmill! I can't jog for long periods of time but I do what I can. I am a nasty smoker and my endurance is just about ZERO for running so I switch off from walking to jogging for a bit and then back to walking.

Gallusgal- I know what you mean about the pictures. I am absolutely disgusted when I see a picture of myself a year ago. How did I let myself get to that point? My mother in law said something to me awhile back that I didn't quite know how to take. We had all gone on a cruise a couple of years ago and she had found some pictures of it. She told me- I found some pictures of you on the cruise and the next time you feel like eating, I am going to show them to you. What the heck was that supposed to mean? I just looked at her. Whether she was trying to be hurtful or not, she did hurt my feelings. She also keeps telling me that she had better get on the ball and start losing weight so I don't get "skinny than her". Do you think she may have some jealousy issues?

It sounds like she was trying to be hurtful, maybe to make you comfort eat a little more? I am going to play amateur psychologist and say that she saw you weight as your weakness. Not that I am suggesting she is a mean person, I just know what MIL's are like!

And yes, boy, oh boy, she is jealous! I saw your pics on the other thread, I applaud you and the OP for being brave enough to show them, I don't even let my closest friends and family see pics these days. You look FABULOUS, and as far as she is concerned, you are strong, beautiful and brave enough to tackle what was obviously a major problem and deal with it. MIL's are always in competition for the darling son's affections, no matter how friendly and nice they are. I am just guessing, but your weight was an asset to her in this ancient and unspoken battle between wife and Mom.

You are most definitely playing with the upper hand now.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gallusgal
Thanks for posting your weight loss journey, and congratulations on your success! I hate lookng at pics of myself right now, and I almost cry when I see pictures of myself as I used to be and hopefully will be again, slim, fit and healthy!

I started out by telling myself that I am not on a diet, as in the past the word 'diet' was in itself an enticement to cheat ( I am a natural rebel lol)...Instead I am changing the way I think about food, eating for the right reasons, and planning my meals in advance so that I know exactly what will be going in my mouth each and every day.

I am so happy for you and all of the other success stories here; you don't know just how motivational and inspirational you all are. I hope in six months time I will be posting a similar success story!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your story.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by showmenow

Thanks much. I also hate looking at old pictures of me. Especially our wedding pictures (the first pic is from our honeymoon)... I wish I looked like I do now back then.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mfagerstrom
That distinction is huge. If you go back to the way you used to eat, you'll just gain the weight back. I was heavy for a reason... I ate poorly and didn't exercise.

To be honest, after eating healthy for seven months, it's automatic now. I love what I eat, I don't feel like I'm being deprived.
Thanks for posting your story and pics! You look great! So inspiring for me, I just started FitDay a few weeks ago.

Yup, there is a reason why I am overweight, it is simply due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise! So true. I didn't learn proper eating habits growing up either, and I allowed the bad eating habits to continue into my adulthood.

FitDay helps me to pinpoint where I go wrong, and with adjustments in my choices, I can see how I can eat a balanced and healthy diet. It has been a real learning experience for me. I think what is different this time is that I actually care about my health now; not only about losing weight as I have in past weight loss attempts.

Awww, Showmenow, I understand. What your mother-in-law said was very hurtful and she had no business at all making such a harsh comment. It is rude and insensitive. Yes, sounds like jealously to me. I am not liking pictures of myself these days, but I know that will change in time.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys for the kind words.

I started a running program at the start of January and it's already paying off. Just this morning I was able to run 3 miles, taking only a minute break between each mile. It felt amazing.

I've only lost 2 pounds since I last posted... but I can still see a difference.

Last edited by mfagerstrom; 03-09-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.